Can wheat affect egg production?

PoultreeKing

Songster
Mar 26, 2017
Lebanon beirut
I've been raising chicken for 3 years now, i have bard rock, polish, silkie... etc. I always feed them 70% corn and wheat, and 30% egg layer feed. And the egg production is acceptable.
I recently moved them to my friend's farm, he isn't as professional about his work, sometimes he feeds 50% wheat, 50% egg layer feed, sometimes 100% wheat, and other times 100% egg layer feed, so far egg production is the same but i know this isn't good for their health.
Now to the main point, a friend of mine who owns a pet shop and has a lot of information about chicken informed me that wheat actually effects egg production badly and that i should focus on egg layer feed, what do you guys think? Does anyone know about this?

You should be feeding more layer. That will help them with their egg production and strong shells. I feed mine 75% layer and 25% of corn, oats and sun flower seeds.

Your birds aren't getting a balanced diet; why? How about feeding an all-flock feed, with oyster shell on the side, or at a minimum, a layer feed? Some extras are fine, but a balanced diet is everything.
Laying chickens are 'living on the edge' metabolically, and need to eat good stuff. It's very hard work to produce 200+ eggs per year!!!
Mary

Your birds aren't getting a balanced diet; why? How about feeding an all-flock feed, with oyster shell on the side, or at a minimum, a layer feed? Some extras are fine, but a balanced diet is everything.
Laying chickens are 'living on the edge' metabolically, and need to eat good stuff. It's very hard work to produce 200+ eggs per year!!!
Mary
I explained why, plus they are fed a lot of greens and leftovers but what i really want to know is can wheat actually affect the egg production badly?

Wheat will affect egg production because you are lowering the crude protein below the threshold needed for ovulation but more importantly it will be woefully low in some essential amino acids and some vitamins and minerals.
It's ok to feed table scraps but while doing so, don't omit animal protein like meat and fish. After all, chickens are omnivores like us.

Back
Top Bottom