Can you accurately sex day-old Olive Egger chicks (Legbar-Welsummer)?

Cute :) So you only got the one boy and the 3 darker chipmunks all girls? How great it seems like the auto-sexing got passed on.
Yes! Assuming things are as they seem, it was just the one boy. I'm going to hatch some more from this pair for Easter. I feel confident enough, after this test, that I can sell sexed chicks.

I find it interesting that you have to wait to find out about the crests, as opposed to a muff/beard, which is apparent as fluffy cheeks on my ee chicks from day one.

I only keep small crests from my Legbar crosses, since they have a tendency to get a bit out of control and impede vision. That may contribute to the delay in showing up. With my spitz crosses, sired by a rooster with quite a tall crest, you could see much earlier indicators
is-there-such-a-thing-as-brown-sex-link-using-barring-gene

The babies are 8 weeks old now. The cockerel, Sunny, is still very reserved and shy, and gets picked on by the bigger hens when the littles free range with them (photo bomb by Little Brownie, one of the Spitz-Legbar pullets who is actually quite brave in the chicken yard)....
OE_Cockerel_8weeks-2.JPG OE_Cockerel_8weeks-1.JPG

Here are two of our Olive Egger pullets (both named Olivia) who will probably grow up to look a lot like a Legbar hen without a crest.
OE_Pullets_8weeks.JPG

And our little mahogany pullet (Red Olivia), who will probably look a lot like a Welsummer with a crest when she feathers out.
OE_Pullet3_8weeks.JPG

All of the olive eggers I got that had a spot on the head were definitely Roos. Accurate or not I got 3 Roos out of 4 olive eggers. And it did not take a few weeks for the comb size to be obviously different. So I ordered more chickens for spring....and few in 4 others for good measure. 🙄

Do you happen to have pictures of your Olive Egger (Cream Legbar over Welsummer) hen’s eggs these hatched from?!
Please keep updating as they grow and definitely their eggs!!!!

I do! There are eggs from 2 different Olive Eggers in the lower half of incubator. The 4 in this thread came from the lighter green shade (2 on left, 1 on top right, and one 2nd from right on the bottom)...
Incubator_lockdown.jpg

If you're interested, here are the chicks that hatched from the 3 darker olive eggs, and the 2 blue on the top left...
is-there-such-a-thing-as-brown-sex-link-using-barring-gene

Last edited:
The babies are a little over 3 months old now. Our little boy went to his new home today, where he will be the only rooster (for now) in a flock of 13 young hens. He just started chasing tail 2 days ago, unsuccessfully, among girls his own age. So, he's coming of age...
Little_olaf.JPG

We have 2 girls that look like this (the ones that looked alike as chicks)...
OE F2_3.5 months.JPG

And this beauty (the less distinctively chipmunk chick we thought might be a boy)...
OE_F2.JPG

Back
Top Bottom