Can you add eggs incubated for 10 days to a broody hen?

Quote:
I think they can in many cases. Mine kicked one out and I put it back in. They kicked it out again the same day so I candled it and it was clear. They kicked out 5 total, 4 were clear and one was a very early quitter. I marked all the eggs I wanted them to keep with a Sharpie marker because the other hens kept laying more eggs in the nest each day. I removed unmarked eggs several times daily. The broodies allowed them to do this until the chicks hatched and now the other hens are not allowed near the nest. I moved the broodies & chicks to a pet carrier (door removed) on the floor once they hatched to keep the babies from falling out.

Last edited:
Quote:
My goodness! The blue on that Mama is AMAZING!!! What kind is she again? WOW HOW STRIKING! I dont think i've ever seen a chicken with that brilliant of a blue on them! Makes me want one!

Quote:
My goodness! The blue on that Mama is AMAZING!!! What kind is she again? WOW HOW STRIKING! I dont think i've ever seen a chicken with that brilliant of a blue on them! Makes me want one!

She is a black Ameraucana and normally she is not that blue ~ the blue is actually "Blu-kote" I put on her to try to prevent some feather picking problems I had over the winter. Blu-kote takes forever to wear off, usually requiring a molt to get rid of the colored feathers. You should see the white hen that has some on her! I get a lot of comments on her unusual color!
ep.gif

you know, I think the idea that a hen can sense a viable egg is fascinating. Right now my girl is locked on her clutch of duds. She could think they're early. I'm really developing confidence in her so tomorrow I'm going to put some developing ones in there. It'll be cool to see how she performs.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom