Can you all help me sex my baby orps!.... PLEASE!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DUCKGIRL89, Jan 1, 2012.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Hi!

I got some orpington eggs and out of 13 shipped eggs, I have five 4+ week old babies. 3 black, 1 blue, and 1 lavender. Well, all the babies are starting to get their feathers in, but one has A BUNCH of feathers, and is starting to get its tail feathers in... While the others dont. And they are ALL the same age. do you think maybe I lucked out and got 1 roo and 4 hens?! He acts like a little roo to! While the others act like little hens :loveBlack

Heres bruce! (the big one) hes a little ham [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres the other blacks.
    Black #2
    [​IMG]
    Black #3
    [​IMG]
    Blue orp
    [​IMG]
    Lavender orp
    [​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    need some good comb shots i would also suggest waiting till they are at least 12 weeks for a more accurate guess or post at 6 weeks of age can also get accurate guesses but without those clear comb shots right now everyone will be hazording their best guess [​IMG] right now with those pics they all look like pullets but i'm sure you have at least 1 or 2 cockerels in there and if they are all pullets lucky you [​IMG]

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Great! Thanks. I will get a few up tomarrow. All I can say is that the big one has a MUCH bigger comb then the others. Id like to have at leased one cockerel. And I would perfer it to be a black [​IMG] im really hopeing my lav and my blue are hens [​IMG]

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    It's way too early to accurately sex them. I'd wait till all the fluff is gone (or most of it).

5. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Orp chicks are a real problem to sex. The best I ever do is to compare all of the same age and figure that the hens MAY feather out sooner and the roos USUALLY have the least tails early and the roos MAY have bigger combs - except if they are submissive roos and then all of the above don't matter.
    Orps are not the breed to have if you need to sex early.

6. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    they'reHISchickens :

Orp chicks are a real problem to sex. The best I ever do is to compare all of the same age and figure that the hens MAY feather out sooner and the roos USUALLY have the least tails early and e roos MAY have bigger combs - except if they are submissive roos and then all of the above don't matter.
    Orps are not the breed to have if you need to sex early.

Well, I was just curious if you all could help. Look like you cant since its to early. Thanks!​

7. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

8. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

x3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by