Can You Bathe A Silkie, If So, How?!??!?!

kysilkies

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
I have a silkie that just stinks, has schtuff schtuck to her and just needs a bath, if possible...She's as docile as you'll ever find and will let me do whatever to her, if it's possible, how can I bathe her?!?!?!?!

Her name is Mamala!

30142_1014_mamala1.jpg

We were playing her favorite game, Simon Says!

Last edited:
You can bath them. When I bathe my birds, I use dawn dishwashing liquid diluted in water (maybe a 25% dawn to 75% water ratio). I am sure some of the more knowlegable people on here will have a better way to bathe, as I am not sure if there is a better way (or if this is even a good way). But unless you are going to a show, your birds should stay pretty fresh by a gold old fashion dirt bath.

A couple of thing: it is getting cold outside, so if you bath her I would keep her indoors for at least a full day. I learned the hard way that if silkies get wet they can chill fairly easily and die. Also, it looks like the hutch you are using has a tray floor? If it were me, I would add a layer of ¼ inch wire cloth an inch or two off of the tray. This will allow the droppings to fall thru the cloth. Easier for you to clean, and it will also keep your bird from getting as stinky. (atleast it will slow down the stink) And I would add a little perch to the hutch. Just a scrap piece of 1X or a sturdy stick thru the sides should do the trick.
Good Luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom