Can you be sure on sex at 13 weeks? Are we roos?

undergroundchickens

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Utah
I have just six chickens. They are my first feathered friends. Here they are enjoying the yard looking for a few bugs to eat. They are getting big.

chickens.jpg

I am worried about two of them. All the chickens have their big girl voices. They can easily bock when needed. It is very rare to hear a chirp anymore. I have not heard any of them trying to crow so I thought I was in the clear for no roos....I have started to have some doubts though.

Here is the first. It is an EE. 13 weeks old. Is it a pullet or a roo? It's pea comb has started to grow a little and turn pink. Much bigger than my other EEer as well.

ee_princess.jpg

ee_princess_close.jpg

And next, one of my barred rocks. Its comb looks the same as the other BR I have but I noticed that her tail is starting to look a little curly. Is it a pullet or a roo? This one is my most friendly chicken....she loves to follow me all over the yard and sit on my shoulder. I sure hope it isn't a he.
sad.png
I can't have a roo giving me away to the neighbor.

pepper_front.jpg

pepper_tail.jpg

Thanks for letting me know what you think. I appreciate it.

Not much experience with this, but your BR looks just like my 12 week old BR, who is supposed to be a pullet. So here's hoping!
Not gonna guess on the EE. It wouldn't be a very educated guess.

i vote pullets .... i have 15 br roos ( packing peanuts) that are several weeks younger than yours and they all "look" noticably rooster ..so i would think at 13 weeks she/he would be more roosterish.. mine all have lighter hackles and saddle feathers poking through and yours is still considerably dark.. BUT i am nooo expert...

I guess it is still to early to be sure then? Man, this guessing game is killing me. My kids and I are already very attached to the "girls". I sure hope we don't have to get rid of some of them.

She looks just like my BR hens did when they were that age... I don't see why people are guessing roo on her. Aren't BR roos much lighter in coloring?

Back
Top Bottom