Can you buy Feed in really large quantitys?

I just bought 10 bags yesterday and 2 bags the day before (of something different that was on sale at a different store.) That's about a month's worth for me.

I store in the garage in metal trash cans with tight fitting lids.

Quote:
I know this wasn't your actual question, but, 50lb for 16 chickens in one week is excessive. Based on 4oz feed per chicken per day (an accepted normal), you should be going through 28lb per week. Either you have a lot of waste, or something else is eating the food. Addressing these two issues will help reduce the number of visits to the feedstore, and your feedbill!

Yes, you can buy feed in bulk from feed mills if you can find one near you. The other option is to buy grains directly from the farmers and then mix the feed yourself. You can sometimes find farmers that will sell in 50 or 100 lbs. Also, if you got together with others in your area and bought from the farmers together you could get a better deal by buying in larger quantities. There is a book that tells how to find farmers to buy from and has recipes for mixing feeds for chickens. It also has a chart that shows how to substitue what you can get locally for what is in the recipe. The book can be found at http://www.idahoashi.com/Special.html It's on sale for $12 through Labor Day. Hope this helps.

Sylvia

Quote:
That's a good point, and that 4 oz is for layers that are laying. Sixteen 13-week old birds should probably be eating less than 20 lbs a week.

I know nothing is getting into the food storage, i believe it is alot of waste. I am going to have to rethink my feeders. The system i use worked great on my last batch.... Would putting them on pellets help? (they are 13 weeks, not sure if it is too early).....

I have seen a few pvc type with holes in the tube, maybe they have less waste...

Here is my system...
DSC_0071.jpg

Also....i tend to fill up the feeders daily and they are always empty the next day. Would figuering out how much they should be eating and limit it be a good idea? I do give treats from the garden and a handful a scratch too...

Back
Top Bottom