Can you candle too much?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DangerChickenHouse, Jan 27, 2012.

1. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    We are incubating with a cardboard box and a lightbulb.

We are candleing with a flashlight. We see movement. It's crazy!

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    awsome ! what kind of flashlight are you using ? My chickies are due tomorrow !!

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Yes, in my opinion, you can candle too much. You take many risks. Bacteria in handling, chance of dropping the egg, chance of jostling around the contents and killing them, etc....

4. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    We use a mag light. Nothing special. We cup our hand around the egg and our hand. We can see the shadow.

Okay. We will resist the urge. We only have two eggs, so we are hopeful we are doing everything correctly!

5. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I like to candle on the 10th day. I can see better than they were on the 7th day. candling less is best, you dont want to do damage in any way..

6. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    I candled on day 10 and day 18 before lockdown. Have been trying not to handle them too much. Tomorrow is hatch day. Two have hatched already and I have probably 2 more pips already. I will wait until tomorrow morning to take chicks out and put in brooder. Don't want to mess up humidity or temp while they are pipped by opening incubator. This is my first hatch and I would rather be safe than sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by