can you clean there nostrils?

if way up in the nostrils i wouldnt, they will "blow" whatever it is out. why do you think you need to clean? if its cause theres dirt there, no worries, it will be there alot when they get scratching for worms and things. if you feel you must, just a wet rag or q-tip.

I have a snotty nose on one of may chicks. i just wanted to know if i could clean it with something to help her breath better. i can see that it is closed one side and there is crustys on it.

I have a snotty nose on one of may chicks. i just wanted to know if i could clean it with something to help her breath better. i can see that it is closed one side and there is crustys on it.

wet rag or q-tip, must be careful not to get the water down their nostril tho cause you can asperate<whatever the word they use,,i say drown lol. if it goes down nostril it can get into lungs. warm water will help it drain. are you using medicated chick start. sounds like shes/hes getting a cold. you may even want to seperate from others so not to pass it on.

Medicated chick starter would only help treat Coccidiosis. It sounds like she may have a respiratory disease starting.
Vet RX helps with mucus symptoms in throat & lungs when chickens have respiratory problems--but I'm not sure about whether helps in nostrils. VetRX only treats symptoms, though--not the diseases causing them.

There is a Medicine Chart on my website (linked in sig) that can give you possible meds to explore, but it should only be used as a STARTING PLACE. If you see a med that you think might be good, type the name into a search engine to look up more info before you decide to use it.

Probly your best bet would be to browse thru posts in the Emergencies section to find others' experience with similar symptoms.

Whenever I clean a bird's nostrils, I use the base of a feather quill. They are slender enough to fit, yet have a smooth tip so are less likely to scrape sensitive membranes. I try to sweep down & forward to avoid accidentally jamming things up their nose.

With crustiness, it'd probly be nice to slightly dampen the gunk with a little warm water & wait a few minutes before clearing off, if you have time to wait. Her nose would probly feel less sore. But I don't think it's super-critical to wait.

It's good you are watching out for your chick!
smile.png

Medicated chick starter would only help treat Coccidiosis. It sounds like she may have a respiratory disease starting.
Vet RX helps with mucus symptoms in throat & lungs when chickens have respiratory problems--but I'm not sure about whether helps in nostrils. VetRX only treats symptoms, though--not the diseases causing them.

There is a Medicine Chart on my website (linked in sig) that can give you possible meds to explore, but it should only be used as a STARTING PLACE. If you see a med that you think might be good, type the name into a search engine to look up more info before you decide to use it.

Probly your best bet would be to browse thru posts in the Emergencies section to find others' experience with similar symptoms.

Whenever I clean a bird's nostrils, I use the base of a feather quill. They are slender enough to fit, yet have a smooth tip so are less likely to scrape sensitive membranes. I try to sweep down & forward to avoid accidentally jamming things up their nose.

With crustiness, it'd probly be nice to slightly dampen the gunk with a little warm water & wait a few minutes before clearing off, if you have time to wait. Her nose would probly feel less sore. But I don't think it's super-critical to wait.

It's good you are watching out for your chick!
smile.png
I cannot find your medicine chart can you send me a link to it thanks

Back
Top Bottom