Can you compost DE?

cackilacky

Songster
10 Years
Aug 20, 2009
North Carolina
This is a PS to the thread on pine shavings. I got to thinking about how DE kills bugs, and then I got to thinking about all of the precious earthworms in my compost, and that made me wonder if compost and DE are a good combination. Any thoughts?

caf.gif

Watching this. I dont use DE yet. But when I do this will be good info to know..

Thanks for the links. Looks like it's okay in compost but in small doses and maybe with water added? I used a lot in my hen house (under a layer of pine shavings) and am thinking maybe I should scoop some out and save it for later.

I use DE in my coop. If the birds poop on their roosts I brush off the poop and sprinkle some DE on the spot and brush it around. I have a wire poop pit so the DE does fall through into the poop. It gets raked out and goes into my compost. When I turn my piles they are beautiful. I turn my piles weekly and water.

Sure you can compost with materials containing DE. DE is completely non-toxic. It is like fine sand or dust. It occurs naturally in some soils.

The reason it kills insects is the shape of the little particles. They have sharp edges that cut the insect's exoskeleton, exposing the insect to bacteria or dehydration.

I sprinkle DE on the compost pile if the flies start to gather. I still have plenty of worms though, so I don't see it as a problem.

I use DE and throw the coop waste with the DE in my compose.
Did you say WORMS!!!! I should start selling them for a penny a piece and make a million dollars. (Just joking of course) But, you get the idea.
I even sprinkle some DE on top of my compose if flies start to come around. The don't hang around for long.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom