Can you compost shavings after treating for mites?

kathy32

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 15, 2018
Hi,
I recently treated for mites using poultry dust - on the chickens and on roosts etc. Normally I compost my shavings along with everything else for my (not strictly organic) garden. Is it a problem to compost the shavings? I know people use poultry dust in the veggie garden too, I'm just not sure about the amounts.
Thanks!

Is burn it to help rid the mite issue.
Mites are not easy to get rid of and if you are not treating weekly then those eggs are going to be hatching wherever those shavings are.

Is burn it to help rid the mite issue.
Mites are not easy to get rid of and if you are not treating weekly then those eggs are going to be hatching wherever those shavings are.
Oh gosh... didn't really think of that. The compost pile is pretty far from the coop and the chickens don't have access to it, even if eggs hatch will they somehow return? I don't really have a setup for burning and lol to be honest it makes me a little nervous! Thanks for the advice!

Oh gosh... didn't really think of that. The compost pile is pretty far from the coop and the chickens don't have access to it, even if eggs hatch will they somehow return? I don't really have a setup for burning and lol to be honest it makes me a little nervous! Thanks for the advice!
Can you bag the shavings and trash them?

I can! A little bit of a hassle but that sounds like my best option. Thanks!
Make sure you are dusting the birds and coop weekly.
I'd recommend doing it every 5 days for no less than 3 or 4 treatments.

Back
Top Bottom