Can you confirm whether our Leghorn could be a RI White or other?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by clubchaos, Aug 31, 2013.

1. clubchaos

clubchaos New Egg

Aug 31, 2013
    Morgan Hill, CA
    My family is new to raising chickens. We picked up 2 chicks in March and we're excited that our RI Red (Lucy) has begun laying eggs for the past 2 weeks. We've been expecting our white leghorn (Ethel) to lay any day, but have only found brown eggs. Sometimes 2 a day. We were told this was normal. But, yesterday we had one at 6 am and came home at 6pm to TWO more. All eggs have been laid in the same box. Is is possible that our leghorn is either really a RI WHITE or a Plymouth (or other?). I believe her earlobes are white, which I thought meant we should expect a white egg layer... I am attaching a picture for any veteran chicken experts out there. I appreciate anyone's input!
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your bird looks to be a white Rock. See that red piece of flesh behind her wattle in this pic? That would be white on a Leghorn.

3. ShayBaby

ShayBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Lucasville, OH
    x2. I'd say rock.

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    riw have a rose comb and leghorns have white earlobes, so she's a white rock and they lay light brown eggs.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    White Plymouth Rock, and it looks like a he.

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    No way. That's a hen. She has exactly the right amount of comb for a Rock at point of lay. And at 20+ weeks (since all the birds are laying) a rooster would be obvious and crowing by now.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    White Rock pullet.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    absolutely. If the bird were 2 months, that much comb would be male. That's why we always ask age when determining gender!

9. clubchaos

clubchaos New Egg

Aug 31, 2013
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Thank you all for your input- I sure appreciate it! Never knew about the red flesh behind the wattle as being a marker. So, White Rock it is! THANKS! I'm really not picky, love them all the same. Was thinking that my RIR was some Super Chicken, but now I can give credit where it's due. If White Rocks give a lighter brown egg, than she actually laid first!

10. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Yes, my Rocks lay paler, sometimes pinkish eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by