I’ve got some weird ones for you … known parent breeds, but chicks are mixed.

mlcrowley

Songster
6 Years
Feb 27, 2017
TLDR: wanting to know hen or roo ;)
Parents:
Roo - Black Bantam Cochin
Hen(s) - Barred Rock for chicks #1 and #2, unknown for chick #3, but will follow with list of breed possibilities, maybe silver laced?

These chicks were hatched on 7/31, so they’re a little over 3 weeks old at this point.

All came from light brown/tan eggs.

Here are the breeds that we had, so any of these are potential mothers for chick #3:
Easter Egger
Silver Laced Wyandotte
Light Brahma
Barred Rock
Black Copper Marans
White Leghorn

Trigger warning if you continue reading, just a heads up.

Okay, full story of how we ended up with these three babies if anyone’s interested:

We had a gorgeous flock of 26 healthy happy birds. July 5th we had a badger (or a family of them) break in and kill 17 birds overnight, including our beloved tiny rooster. We were absolutely devastated. We decided we’ll never find another rooster like him and wanted to continue his line and hopefully get another rooster from him if possible.

So, I grabbed a variety of eggs from our stock (some were even refrigerated!) and put them in the incubator. We weren’t expecting much bc we’ve never hatched our own chicks before and like I said we weren’t even totally positive how fresh these eggs were or if they would even be viable.

We set 7. 21 days later we had 4 sweet babies hatch. We lost one on day 2, not sure of cause. We are so grateful to still have these 3!!

I don’t care at all what breeds they are or what sex they are to be honest, I’m just happy to have some babies from our beloved roo and our lovely ladies. But … I am super curious, so I’d love to hear your opinions!

Ps. Peep those fluffy feet!!!!

IMG_6275.jpeg

IMG_6276.jpeg

IMG_6280.jpeg

I would say if all 3 were hatched from brown eggs, you can eliminate the Easter Egger, Marans and White leghorn. So that leaves Wyandotte, Light brahma and barred rock. Seeing how 1 & 2 are from the BR and how they look, I think that one is not the mama of #3.

That kinda looks like a brahma head to me, but I can't see the comb. I think there's a noticable difference in the combs for the Wyandotte and Brahama, so that might give it away as this little one ages.

I would say if all 3 were hatched from brown eggs, you can eliminate the Easter Egger, Marans and White leghorn. So that leaves Wyandotte, Light brahma and barred rock. Seeing how 1 & 2 are from the BR and how they look, I think that one is not the mama of #3.

That kinda looks like a brahma head to me, but I can't see the comb. I think there's a noticable difference in the combs for the Wyandotte and Brahama, so that might give it away as this little one ages.
#3 has no comb showing at all right now

TLDR: wanting to know hen or roo ;)
Parents:
Roo - Black Bantam Cochin
Hen(s) - Barred Rock for chicks #1 and #2, unknown for chick #3, but will follow with list of breed possibilities, maybe silver laced?

If the father does not have white barring, but the mother does have white barring, then you have sexlinks: sons have white barring and daughters do not have white barring. That means #1 and #2 must be male. (Genetically speaking, it is impossible to get a barred daughter from a not-barred father.)

For #3, it could be either gender if the mother was not a Barred Rock.
For who the mother could be:
--if it has a rose comb, it must have the Wyandotte mother
--if it has a pea comb, it must have a mother with a pea comb (Brahma or maybe Easter Egger)
--if you know what color egg it hatched from, you can rule out some of the hens (white egg from Leghorn, or blue/green egg from Easter Egger, or brown egg from other breeds.)
--White Leghorn would probably produce white chicks, not black, so is probably not the mother.

If the chick has a single comb, and if you do not know the egg color, then it could have come from any hen on the list.

Your #1 and #2 are cockerels. Your number three looks to have maybe a pea comb?

I was typing at the same time as above, but Natj has infinitely more knowledge than me, so I’ll just sit back *and learn with you.

*edit cause apparently I didn’t write the rest of my sentence earlier. 😂

Last edited:
I don’t have any clear pics of the Easter Egger hens, all 3 were taken, but I’ll see if I can find some photos of similar coloring to what we had.
Here are some internet photos of similar colored Easter Eggers
IMG_6284.jpeg
IMG_6285.jpeg
IMG_6286.jpeg

Your #1 and #2 are cockerels. Your number three looks to have maybe a pea comb?

I was typing at the same time as above, but Natj has infinitely more knowledge than me, so I’ll just sit back *and learn with you.

*edit cause apparently I didn’t write the rest of my sentence earlier. 😂
Here’s a better pic of #3’s comb
IMG_6297.jpeg

Pic of Dad just for fun and also cuz I miss that little bowling ball of a rooster terribly.
IMG_6287.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom