Can you do a Coturnix x Button?

lowcountrypoultry

Songster
11 Years
Jan 30, 2008
Beaufort, South Carolina
Can you breed a button quail to a coturnix quail and get fertile offspring?

This is prob. a dumb question, but i was thinking about it, and it got me thinking...
hmm.png

Probably not since they are different species but then again you can even cross guinea fowl and chickens. It's just very unlikely to happen. If you did get offspring they'd probably be sterile hybrids. You'd also have to do artificial insemination because they'd be unable to mate if they even thought to attempt it.

On the subject of Coturnix- last night at 6:30 was the 17th day of incubation. This morning - nothing. When should I begin to worry?
(They are Jumbo Goldens if that makes any difference)

I have 2 day old buttons and Coturnix in the brooder now. The buttons are a little
bigger than bumblebees. The Coturnix are the size of a silver dollar.

It would make a wierd hybrid.

I've been talknig about trying this combo breeding for a while now. Actually have a pair of hen BQs in with a bunch of coturnix. We'll see by spring 09' if anything is fertile.
smile.png

Quote:
i think they could personally, they're both from the "coturnix" family after all....and I say if they can hybrid quail to chicken, pheasant to chicken, chicken to peacock or whatever they've all already done,then why not BQ to Coturnix. I want to try it to incorporate the friendliness of the Coturnix, and the various colors of the BQ into one hybrid.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom