Can you dry baby ducklings with a hair-dryer after they've hatched?

Can you dry baby ducklings with a hair-dryer after they've hatched? Just asking
Technically, you could, though unless you are a very experienced poultry handler, I wouldn't suggest doing it.

So unless you have a very good reason for wanting to do it *and* you are very experienced, don't do it, just let them dry in the incubator or brooder.

Last edited:
Birds have hollow bones and are very sensitive to temperature changes because of this. With a hair dryer you risk heating them too hot too quickly and it is not safe. I would not recommend this. Ducklings at hatch cannot regulate their body temperatures (why we provide them with heat lamps or other heat source) and this can be dangerous.

Birds have hollow bones and are very sensitive to temperature changes because of this. With a hair dryer you risk heating them too hot too quickly and it is not safe. I would not recommend this. Ducklings at hatch cannot regulate their body temperatures (why we provide them with heat lamps or other heat source) and this can be dangerous.
This is why I said "only if you have a very good reason *and* you are experienced". I don't mean to be rude, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that anyone asking if it can be done probably doesn't have the level of expertise need to do it safely. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom