Can you eat Cornish Cross roosters?

Oh definitely. I am usually the one who does the butchering, because my husband gets too attached to them. I haven't had Cornish X's before, but I have had plenty of experience in both chicken and rabbit processing. My daughter usually helps, but she can't do the killing, so that is part of my job. After they are dead, she can do everything from there. Killing an animal is never easy or joyful, but I rest peacefully knowing they had a good life.
I agree with you completely.
It's very important to our family to raise our animals humanely and respectfully. A prayer of thanks is offered before the butchering.
My chickens know that they are loved and spoiled (even my CX's).
They get high quality feed & treats and are free to roam on shaded acreage during the day.

Our pigs are pastured and are given high quality feed plus fruits and vegetables. My husband has them so tame that when he walks into their area for feeding & watering, they come and lay at his feet for scratching and rub-downs. ALL 15 of them!
I am a firm believer that meat animals taste the best when they are free to roam in large pastures.
Same goes for eggs-- you cannot beat the eggs that come from free ranged hens, can you?

Absolutely not. I hate those month or so times when I can't get fresh eggs. I try not to buy any store bought at all unless I can't help it.

I used to work in a commercial egg laying operation. This was the battery cage system and I won't even go into the horrors of that time in my life. It doesn't mean I won't keep chickens for meat or eggs myself, but the satisfaction of knowing the quality of life they have versus what they could have to endure makes it all worthwhile.

Honestly I don't think its all in your head.

When I raised Cornish I always butchered the roosters a couple weeks before the hens. I don't like the huge breast a male Cornish develops if allowed to get to 9-10 weeks. I find it too dry. I consider myself a pretty darn good cook and never could get them cooked to my likely if allowed to grow past 6 or 8 weeks.

The toughness you are thinking of comes from age more than breed. Young roos will be more teneder, older roos will get tough.

Back
Top Bottom