Can you eat the eggs immediately if you used Piperazine?????

Quote:
I've never had my chickens decide to eat their own even though they were fed scrambled or boiled eggs since I got them. I even crush the shells and feed it to them. Now if they start breaking the eggs in the nests and eating them then they can start acquiring a taste for those eggs.

Missi

Last edited:
I've just purchased Wazine 17 for deworming my chickens, and yes, I've read the directions. But I find nothing that tells me how long to treat...one day, or more?

Quote:
I used Wazine to treat mine last Friday, It's killin me to toss the eggs
sad.png
-decided to wait the 14 days that the label says to wait before butchering. -but will re-treat this coming Friday so will have to wait another 14 days, geesh throwing away 28 days worth of eggs
rant.gif
really?

10 days ago I treated my flock (30 chickens) with Wazine-17. The only thing I could find on the label about laying hens was - DO NOT TREAT CHICKENS THAT LAY EGGS FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION (not exact words, but close enough). I eat my own eggs and I sell them to my family, friends & co-workers. I have had to throw out around 5 dozen eggs...kills me, as they are so colorful and beautiful, but the main thing is that the girls work hard to get them to the table. I still have no clue when the eggs will be safe for consumption. I am waiting a maximum of 14 days, and will start gathering again this Saturday, as it will have been exactly 2 weeks. Does ANYBODY out there know whether or not 14 days is long enough for the Wazine to be purged from their bodies? I will not sell my eggs again until I know for sure. Thanks!

Also, I wanted to mention that I actually saw worms in the feces of 2 of my chickens, one of which is a rooster. The worms are very tiny, thin as thread, and very active whipping back and forth in the poo. After treatment, I am still seeing the worms in my rooster's droppings. I will isolate him and re-treat, then check again in a few days. I used 30ml in a gallon of water, which I hope was right - I am not great with math. But, none of them got sick or died.
big_smile.png

@ callyB57
Could what you are seeing be hair worm or capillariasis? I think that may require a different treatment. Do a little searching around here, you will find what you need to know to care for you chickens.
My worming protocol is to start with wazine (toss eggs) followed two weeks later by eprinex ivermectin topical (to catch and late hatchers not killed off in the first round). Now that is a cattle product and has no withdrawal time FOR CATTLE. I tossed two more weeks of eggs, simply because I didn't know any better. BUT, the chickens were much better off afterwards. Egg #s increased! Yay!
Starting with ivermectin may be dangerous for your bird depending on their wormloads.

Quote:
I dont recommend that you reworm them with wazine. It has done its job by expelling large roundworms. Fourteen days is the recommended withdrawal time for most wormers including wazine. I think turtlebird is correct, you're dealing with not only roundworms but probably cecal worms. Fenbendazole or albendazole, will kill them. Fenbendazole is sold as Safeguard. It comes as a paste for horses or a liquid for goats. Dosage for the paste is a "pea" sized amount for each chicken. For the liquid, buy 10% suspension from TSC, the dosage is 3cc per gallon of water for 2 days. Albendazole is sold as Valbazen. It is a liquid, dosage is; One half cc given orally for standard size chickens. For smaller chickens...one quarter cc given orally to each chicken. For safeguard and/or valbazen, the withdrawal period is another 14 days.

Last edited:
I know this is an old topic, but I want to deworm my laying hens and purchased DVL Piperazine 53% powder. No warnings on the package, so I went to DVL's website and found their phone number. I called them and they said if there were any warnings (i.e. if the eggs were not safe to eat), they would be required by law to put it on the packaging, therefore it is safe to eat the eggs. I also did a bit of research on what is used to treat threadworms and roundworms in humans and you guessed it, the active ingredient is Piperazine! So the worst thing it could do is rid your gut of worms if you were wormy. The worms live in the intestinal tract, the eggs are formed in the oviduct... I've convinced myself that the likelihood of the drug to penetrate the oviduct is extremely slim, so I'm not going to stop eating the eggs :)
Anatomy-of-the-chicken-with-text.jpg

I know this is an old topic, but I want to deworm my laying hens and purchased DVL Piperazine 53% powder. No warnings on the package, so I went to DVL's website and found their phone number. I called them and they said if there were any warnings (i.e. if the eggs were not safe to eat), they would be required by law to put it on the packaging, therefore it is safe to eat the eggs. I also did a bit of research on what is used to treat threadworms and roundworms in humans and you guessed it, the active ingredient is Piperazine! So the worst thing it could do is rid your gut of worms if you were wormy. The worms live in the intestinal tract, the eggs are formed in the oviduct... I've convinced myself that the likelihood of the drug to penetrate the oviduct is extremely slim, so I'm not going to stop eating the eggs :)
Anatomy-of-the-chicken-with-text.jpg
Tell us, how do worms ingest the wormer?

Back
Top Bottom