can you eat the first egg if...

ebertschic

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
My chickens are 19 weeks old and will be on grower/finisher until 21 weeks. I will be on vacation next week and still have plenty of grower/finisher left. If they lay their first egg next week, can that egg be eaten? Hope I don't miss it, but I need to instruct the person who will care for them in my absence properly. Can the egg be eaten if they aren't on layer food?

Sorry if this has been asked, I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance for the help,

-J-

Yes, you may eat the egg(s) from chickens on grower-finisher feed. :)

Layer feed isn't the determining factor for eggs being edible; it is just a commercial feed with extra calcium to replace what hens lose through the production of the shells of their eggs.

NONE of my flock has EVER eaten layer feed, ever. I use Nutrena All Flock, which is similar to Purina's FlockRaiser feed. It's suitable for a mixed flock of chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, peafowl.... Of ALL ages and both genders. No calcium added; therefore, I provide calcium in the form of crushed oyster shell (available in most feed stores) available free choice in a separate bowl. Those laying hens which need calcium supplements will crave it and take what they need.

Enjoy your first eggs when they come!

If it is non-medicated feed than yes. There are a few signs to see if they are getting close, however not all present them. The most common are the hen squating when you get near, rooster mounting, and getting redder in the face. If your girls do start laying you will want to change them to layer feed and give them free choice oyster shell for the calcium needed to form the shell.

Back
Top Bottom