Can you eat the soft shell eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GoDawgs, May 6, 2011.

1. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Atlanta burbs
    Found a jelly egg this morning and and just threw it in the woods. However, would it have been okay to eat if I had cooked it immediately?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I wouldn't think that just a membrane would be any protection against outside bacteria getting into the egg. I, myself, wouldn't risk it.

Good luck.

3. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    If the membrane isn't broken, we eat them right away. (don't store them, though) Just tear open the membrane and pour the egg into the hot pan. Inside, they are the same as any other egg - just no shell. We've never gotten sick or had any problem from eating these.

1 person likes this.
  4. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Atlanta burbs
    Quote:That's what I was thinking. The membrane was completely intact, and when I threw it into the woods, I saw it bust open - and it looked like a perfectly good egg. I wouldn't want to store it, but it seems like it would be okay to eat right away. I would think that the heat from cooking would kill any bacteria.

5. Pollo Posada

Pollo Posada Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    Mount Airy, MD
    I cook and use those to give a nice snack to the girls!

1 person likes this.
  6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Sure as long as they are fresh--we just tear off the membrane and toss them in with the rest when we scramble them.

7. Meny73

Meny73 Just Hatched

Jun 9, 2016
    Hi, I have 3 hens laying eggs and 2 they just stared yesterday to lay, but they are laying sof shell eggs what can I do to fix it? I found one in the laying box last night and 2 inside the chicken coop this morning.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not unusual to get some softshelled eggs(and other funky eggs) when they first start laying.
    Can take up to a month or so for the ole egg machine to get tuned up.
    Make sure you are providing layer feed and/or oyster shell on the side in a separate container.

9. Meny73

Meny73 Just Hatched

Jun 9, 2016
    Thank you, I'll do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by