Can you eat them right after butchering?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by georgialee, Feb 3, 2011.

1. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I know with chickens you're supposed to wait a couple of days, how about with quail?

If I were to send my husband out to the barn to butcher a couple and they were cooked within the hour would they be tough?

Sorry if this is a silly question... I'm in the planning stages and trying to figure out everything, lol. [​IMG]

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    As far as I know you can eat them AND chickens immediately. A lot depends on how you cook them. Most folks will wait with chickens to allow time for the meat to be more tender, but I know some who go right out in the yard an hour before cooking them and butcher and still have tender juicy meat. I'd assume quail to be no different. I'd probably just cook a bit slower myself to ensure the meat is tender.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I butcher my quail, & they're cooking within 1/2 hour. I put them in a pan with a little water, add my spices, cover with foil, & bake at 225 degrees for 3 hours. They are TENDER! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:I've seen the time when it was "tough" on a growling tummy not getting them into the skillet within 30 minutes after they've been cleaned........ [​IMG]

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    best to cool meat in ice.....but just a little time less than an hour for chicken, ice water will cool them quick

6. mchl

mchl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    fresh is great. I hunt them in the wild and eat as fast as I can cook them..

7. georgialee

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks everyone! That's what I was hoping. [​IMG]

8. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Howdy neighbor.[​IMG]

9. georgialee