Can you ever have 2 roos with 10 hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BCMominMD, Nov 4, 2009.

1. BCMominMD

BCMominMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Southern Md
    I have an original flock of 7 assorted hens (listed below) and one white rock cockeral - all 7 months old raised together from chicks in an 8x10 amish shed and free range in my large yard. My roo is somewhat dominated by the wild eastern turkey that moved in this summer but everyone gets along fine.
    I bought some young birds (age 4 wks) from Will at Whitmore farm - 2 welsummers and 2 blue ameraucanas who are now almost 17 weeks and ready to mix with the original flock. One of the ameraucanas turned out to be a cockeral. They've been living in half of the shed but have their own run. The cockerals don't pay any attention to each other through the fence.
    Am I being stupid to try to mix them together (under supervision of course). Or should try to find a home for the ameraucana cockeral now? Is he a kind of roo that someone would want? Ughghg. I have a hard time getting rid of animals.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Yes you can have 2 roos with 10 hens. However, there will be some fighting to establish top Roo. Most likely your older Roo will win.

I have 2 roos that I seperate off with their girls for breeding and then put them back together when i don't need pure breeds and they always work it out.

Congrats on getting birds from Will. I have some from him and they are beautiful.

3. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    I have 2 roo and 7 hens; so far so good! [​IMG]

4. BCMominMD

BCMominMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Southern Md
    Thanks for your advice.
    Yes the birds from Will were very nice and have done well. The blue amerauacana cockerel is especially handsome.

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    yes you can keep both together, just make sure that they are able to get away from each other, so when one gives up and settles for 2nd spot, he is able to be away from the top one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by