1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can You Feed Apple Cores to Chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ilovemypeeps, Jun 16, 2011.

1. ilovemypeeps

ilovemypeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Hi [​IMG] I was wondering if you can feed apple cores to chickens. I know dogs aren't supposed to have apple seeds so I was wondering if it's OK for the chickens. Thanks!

2. citybiddies

citybiddies Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    I break the cores in half so the seeds fall out before feeding them. I don't know if that's necessary or not though.

3. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    I do, i don't know if you can or not but mine seem ok with it [​IMG]

4. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    yes, apple cores are fine. it isn't as if they can choke on it [​IMG]

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Dogs aren't supposed to have apple seeds???? [​IMG] Someone needs to inform my dogs, particularly my choco lab mix....during apple season he eats approx. one apple every ten seconds. We have 13 huge trees of all varieties and he eats apples constantly...walks around with one in his mouth when he isn't eating one, will steal them from the sheep and even took one to his house for his grieving over losing his mate.

My chickens always shared his love of the apples and ate their fill each year. Both animal species were never sick a day in their lives!

6. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    It's my understanding that apple seeds have just enough toxicity to possibly kill parasites, but not harm the chicken. At any rate, mine love them and have shown no sign of problems, but they don't get them often.

7. farmergirl96

farmergirl96 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    San Jose
    The only food that can harm a chicken (unless it is moldy) is:
    1. Raisins
    2. Raw potatoes
    3. Chocolate
    4. Avocado
    Everything else should be perfectly fine.
    God bless,
    H. H. T.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  8. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  9. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    My chickens eat the apples on the ground, and all my dogs have eaten whole apples since forever. I haven't ever noticed a problem with apples. My chickens avoided raw potatoes so I didn't give them more, raisins they have probably eaten. Chocolate is bad we know, but also that coco mulch has been found to kill animals and it also grows mold spores in you soil which are very dangerous to both humans and animals.

10. jjj

jjj New Egg

Jun 17, 2011
    i just cut up a whole apple and toss it out .... everyone is happy.... i hate to say it but dogs too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by