Can you feed chickens bacon/meat fat?

Some people feed their chickens suet a couple times a year, but I'd be leery of this particular "recipe". Too much fat could make your chickens fat themselves (and turn them into spoiled little brats).

Unless there's snow on the ground, I don't plan on feeding my chickens much in the way of fatty treats. I'm trying to get my boyfriend off fatty treats as it is!
tongue2.gif

He just taught the dog to like potato chips!
barnie.gif

Last edited:
I live in Maine, and in the winter I give my chickens bacon fat mixed with flax meal. We don't eat bacon often, so it is a treat for everybody. The flax meal comes in a bag from Bob's Red Mill. I mix cold bacon fat left over from frying bacon with flax meal to make a kind of crumbly mass. I put it in a pan with other kitchen scraps, and they eat it all. As I mentioned, not often, and only in winter, because it does get cold here.

Yes, you can. Chickens can and will eat ANYTHING. I like mixing milk, raw eggs(no shell), and cooked grease or oil, corn oil and canned veggies in with my Broiler complete for my show chickens. They love it and always go crazy over it. With our laying hens and other chickens, we throw leftovers in there all the time, including meat, cooked veggies, old cerel and bread. Rotted fruit. They love it, and everytime we go out there they are running up and down the pen looking for more.
Hope I helped!

Back
Top Bottom