can you feed chickens crushed egg shell??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jason180sx, Jul 6, 2011.

1. jason180sx

jason180sx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    ireland
    hi
    my friend say if you crush eggs shell it will help there them
    is it right
    thanks

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    They don't need it until they are laying, the extra calcium could be a problem for kidneys and bone development.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You can feed he crushed egg shell back to the laying hens if they will eat them. They'll use that calcium to make new egg shells. Mine usually don't eat them, so I guess they are getting all the calcium they need from whatever else they are eating.

Young growing chicks and non-laying chickens don't need them. But it can be a good calcium source for your laying hens.

4. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I like to feed the shell back to mine, I smash them so it looks more like oyster shell (I'd hate to inspire/create an a egg eater). I also put them under the grill till they're dry and crispy just to kill any bugs on them the laying hen might have that she isn't showing yet, so the rest of the flock don't ingest it.

I mix it into their wet treats and they gobble it all up

5. Teeah3612

Teeah3612 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    West Virginia
    My mother always did this when we were growing up. Why buy a supplement when you have egg shells on hand?

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I boil the eggs & put them in the fridge crush them up & add some cayenne pepper on top.

7. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    I toss mine into the compost pile, step on them to crush them up and then the chickens come along and eat them if they want.

8. SDChIcK

SDChIcK Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Crushing up the eggshells for your chicken is great for it. And it makes their eggs stronger.

9. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    yea just crush them well so they dont look like eggs, dont want them to start eating there eggs as soon as they lay them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by