can you feed chickn sweet feed as snack

fatboys farm

Songster
10 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Franklin GA
i mix my feed together. pellets crumbles @ scratch. if they can eat sweet feed ill mix it in to. i hate racoons. only good between the bisquits @ gravy.

i think the question here is why?

scratch isn't a feed, but a supplement. and sweet feed is not chicken feed.

no treat should make up more than 10% of a chicken's diet.

scratch makes for FAT chickens. the fat builds up a pad inside that can lead to decreased laying and eventually to NO laying. a handful is what is intended.

sweet feed is way too high in sugar/carb content for chickens. cleaning up a bit after the horses is one thing, but mixing into their feed is another.

Our chickens scratch through the horse poop for little bits of feed left...that was once sweet feed
idunno.gif

sickbyc.gif

dumb question: Is sweet feed corn?

I was just reading about the three feeder system: one of layer pellets, one of cheap whole grain, one of oyster shell.
I also allow daily free ranging.

I am thinking about switching to this three feeder system soon, as one of mine just started laying and I plan to put out oyster shell anyway.

The idea was to have the three feeders free choice, and the hens would eat what they needed...but I tend to wonder about the high carbs/sugar content- seems like they'd just gobble that up!

You could use it as a scratch.
The "Sweet Feed" we get is 16% protein and my chickens love it I wouldn't use much more than 10% of there total feeding..

nursemeh: dumb question: Is sweet feed corn?

For the most part "Sweet Feed" is a mixture of corn, oats, a protein pellet and molasses.

Chris​

Last edited:
Chris09
Today 7:34 am You could use it as a scratch.
The "Sweet Feed" we get is 16% protein and my chickens love it I wouldn't use much more than 10% of there total feeding..

nursemeh: dumb question: Is sweet feed corn?

For the most part "Sweet Feed" is a mixture of corn, oats, a protein pellet and molasses.

Chris​

Ok so I take it that Sweet Feed is a Horse type feed
hmm.png
hmm.png
hmm.png
hmm.png

I also read in another thread that someone ask about feeding some rabbit pellets to there chickens to..they say it was ok but not as a main diet for food .

Alan​

DaKid: Ok so I take it that Sweet Feed is a Horse type feed

Yup..

DaKid: I also read in another thread that someone ask about feeding some rabbit pellets to there chickens to..they say it was ok but not as a main diet for food .

I wouldn't feed too much rabbit pellets it real high in salt.. If you want you could feed a Alfalfa Pellet or a Alfalfa Meal.. You should be able to get either one a the feed mill. Now if you have smaller chickens or your chickens wont eat the Alfalfa Pellet you can soak the pellets in a little watter till it gets soft..

( I like to add a little Alfalfa Meal in the winter just so they get some greens. I also like to wet the Alfalfa Meal so that it is not so dry.. )

Chris​

I feed mine 10% sweet feed as a treat. 1-2x a week, just a handfull.

I think for the cost of it and nutrition wise, chicken feed is better than trying to mix your own.

I also feed them the sweepings off the barn floor, a mix of sweet feed, dry cat food, hay and what ever may be in there. Not manure, but feed...They love it.

I also toss them flakes of hay to dig around in and they enjoy the seeds that may be in there as well as the smaller blades of grass.

best i can tell, no for sure answer about the sweet feed. my chicks free range every day. if they dont like something they leave it behind. i guess time will tell. PS cotton seed mill is 48 % protein but they will not eat it. not even fat chickens. eat more possium.

Back
Top Bottom