Can you feed ducks honey?

Tubbys Lil Farm

Chirping
7 Years
May 21, 2012
N. Idaho
Is it safe to feed ducks honey? I think my Pekin has some sort of respiratory challenge and I thought maybe I would try a little Manuka honey for him. It has antibacterial and antifungal properties and if it won't hurt him, maybe it would help. I don't know if his respiratory "noise" is normal as he doesn't seem sick otherwise....?

Thanks!

Not sure about the honey, but please tell us if the duck has access to clean swimming water daily, or at least constant access to water deep enough to wash its entire head? Lack of those things can lead to breathing and respiratory problems, which can become serious.

Yep. They have a kiddie pool to swim in and I also keep a dishpan of fresh water for them as the pool tends to get "muddy" immediately. The pool gets emptied every 5 days but they have sand in their pen and they fill their mouths with sand and immediately "spit" it back into the pool when they drink. But they do have access to water for washing their nostrils.

I'm interested in the answers to this aswell as my duck has developed raspy breathing, but is otherwise fine.
I have fed them more seed recently and I read that has less vitamin A so i have moved back to the pallet food for a bit.

Is it safe to feed ducks honey? I think my Pekin has some sort of respiratory challenge and I thought maybe I would try a little Manuka honey for him. It has antibacterial and antifungal properties and if it won't hurt him, maybe it would help. I don't know if his respiratory "noise" is normal as he doesn't seem sick otherwise....?

Thanks!
VetRX was recommended to my by a seasoned duck owner (decades). She said to add a few drops daily to thier water when breathing starts to sound concerning. I put in the water feeder first then add the water to mix it because it's oil based.

Back
Top Bottom