Can you feed grass seeds to ducks?

Keely Noodle

Chirping
Sep 15, 2017
As the cold months come round and rain falls more frequently, the lovely green grass soon turns to a muddy marsh thanks to the duckies. :D
Usually when spring comes, the grass also grows back but for the last couple years it has been mostly plantain weeds.
To get the grass growing again I was wondering if feeding grass seeds to the ducks would mean that they could poop them out around the garden and in turn fertilize them at the same time? Or equally just sow the seeds. But I thought it might be nicer for the ducks if they get a treat as well.
Would this work? And are grass seeds good for ducks?

Would this work? And are grass seeds good for ducks?
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

I'm not sure... in theory some seeds go through birds and drop elsewhere to propagate.

In reality... will any make it past the acidic juices and grinding gizzards? Do ducks have gizzards?? Turns out yes..
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/do-all-birds-have-gizzards/

I have seen tomato plant pop out of an OLD dog pile, obviously different digestion with no grinding. :sick Tomatoes also have an acidic coating that prevent germination before it's washed off. So maybe it had extra protection through the stomach acids. I have not yet seen a pumpkin, cantaloupe, barley or other type pop up from my chickens. Maybe it's too "hot" of fertilizer the first season, or maybe it depends on the weather?? I only kept ducks a short while, so sharing what experience I do have.

Now my other suggestions are that if you do try this... make SURE your grass seed are NOT coated with anything.

The feed grade barley seed I bought 50# for about $20 at the feed store... is just like grass at it's fodder stage. I bought it for sprouting and fodder for the animals. Consider trying it. :) If I was actively trying to get them sprout-able out of the other end... I would feed them whole instead of sprouted. Other popular things folks sprout are oats, corn, sunflower, millet, sorghum, peas, wheat, rye. But it would be nice if you could find an orchard grass mix!

You might also consider adding some "grazing frames" that will allow grass to grow through without the birds destroying the ground completely. I have seen these discussed on other threads so maybe search that term.

Finding a hardier grass or ground cover that doesn't go dormant might help keep mud down.

Adding your general location to your profile can help folks make the best suggestions possible at a glance. ;)

Hope this is helpful some! :fl

Back
Top Bottom