can you feed laying hens starter crumbles?

jrbeck

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 28, 2013
We have a half used bag of Turkey and Game starter crumbles and I'm wondering if I can just give it to my laying hens?? Anyone know if it would hurt them or make their eggs inedible?

Thanks.

We have a half used bag of Turkey and Game starter crumbles and I'm wondering if I can just give it to my laying hens?? Anyone know if it would hurt them or make their eggs inedible?

Thanks.
I feed them to mine. They do fine. Higher protein levels. Good for Heritage breeds. When my hens are raising chicks, they eat the start crumbles just like the chicks and do fine. Is it medicated?
Best,
Karen

It doesn't seem to say medicated on the bag anywhere.. Do you know if it would be labeled clearly if it was medicated?

If your feed is medicated depending on the brand it will say it on the bag or check the feed tag if it is medicated it will say it on the top of the tag under the feeds name
If there's nothing there then its unmedicated

It doesn't matter if it's medicated or not it's fine for the birds and you can still eat the eggs. The boost in protein will do them good, Turkey starter is 25-28% protein. For more protein and to not feed the extra calcium in layer feed to my entire flock I use Turkey Finisher as it comes in pellets and 18-20% protein. I use oyster shells for the layers calcium by tossing a handful or two of shell in the run once a week.

I agree with egghead-jr your birds well be fine eating it with or without meds. . I personally stop using antibiotics or Amp. When they start laying because I'm not 100% sure if there a withdrawl or not

Thanks all! I tossed the feed tag when I opened the bag a while back but the bag says nothing about it being medicated. I didn't know if the medicated would poison the eggs or not ;). I think I'll just go ahead and give it to them....=)

Back
Top Bottom