Can you feed your chickens hay?

EchoesEchos

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 8, 2010
Central Oregon
It's coming into winter for me and soon the snow, ice and frozen ground will be here. I was wondering besides grain can I feed my chickens good hay? Alfalfa or clover hay? They of course love to scratch around but the ground will be frozen so was wondering what I can give them to scratch and dig around in.

It's coming into winter for me and soon the snow, ice and frozen ground will be here. I was wondering besides grain can I feed my chickens good hay? Alfalfa or clover hay? They of course love to scratch around but the ground will be frozen so was wondering what I can give them to scratch and dig around in.

I give my hens hay here and there already. I only give them a flake or two. In two days there are barely any bits and pieces left to see. When they are out of their run they go over to the haystack right away, climb on top and start scratching and pecking. Whether or not they actually eat anything I am not sure, but I think they do. I know they love getting it though.

Thanks. I would like to provide themwith something scratch around in and the growing them fodder is great.. Thanks.

They are spoiled for sure... My son is always telling them they are spoiled and not to expect that from him. LOL Don't believe it, he's the one who is always tweaking their enclosure to make sure it's comforatble and good enough.

Back
Top Bottom