Songster
8 Years
Jun 26, 2011
Missouri
97743_029.jpg

97743_027.jpg

Look closely.
smile.png

I've never seen this one before. Luckily, I looked out just in time to see him coming towards my ducks. He was 3 feet from grabbing one. When I ran out there I threw him off and he flew away. One of these days... I'm not going to be so lucky.

He was not deterred by my dog or the fact that the ducks were right next to my house. (under a bush)

Last edited:
Yup, I see it.

2 weekends ago I was out feeding/watering the birds. The layers were freeranging and out a no where a hawk (thinking coopers hawk) flew down, about 3 feet from me and swooped back up. Tried it again the 2nd day, luckly I was there. Shouted at it and it flew away, haven't seen it again.

It's a HAWK! I know, it's hard to see!! This a different one than the one that was hanging around. (yes, I can tell the difference between them.. it's weird.)

These things are BRAVE!! Thank goodness I looked outside in time to see it making it's attack.

We have lots of bushes and covering, but that not making a difference.

I have a covered run, they just like to free range.. Good grief.. It's always something trying to eat my pets.

Hawks are Federally Protected. You can't do anything that would cause harm or death to them. They seem to be discouraged if you place line or cord acrossed an enclosure, but I don't know what you'd do for an entire yard. Depending on the size of the hawk, they will generally not go after a full grown large chicken. Now banties would be another thing.

I wouldn't hurt it. They really are amazing creatures. And it's just trying to get dinner. I have some banties in the bator... Yikes! It was going after my ducks. It's just such a bummer having to keep them penned up. They get mad at me.
(And make a huge mess when confined!)

Back
Top Bottom