Can you get grown chickens to use nipple waterers?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by greeneggsnham, Jul 12, 2010.

1. greeneggsnham

greeneggsnham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Southeast Missouri
    I didn't learn about nipple waterers till my chickens were grown and I wanted to know if there was any way to get them to drink from them now. Right now they have a water barrel cut in half (legnthwise) that I clean everyday but they manage to dump it regularly and get all sorts of nasty stuff in it. Has anyone had any luck switching their grown chickens to them or am I out of luck?

Edit: I wanted to attach a pvc pipe to a bucket and run it into the coop with the nipples attached to the pipe so I can refill the bucket from outside. Will this work?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    You can make that nipple waterer if you want, but just be warned it could take your chickens up to 10 maybe even 15 minutes to figure out that there is water in there.

All joking aside mine took to it like ducks to water so to speak. They peck out of curiosity and find water end of story

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

My chooks know how to peck my hose bibs to get water- now If the doves were just smart enough to figure it out I'd be all set... stupid doves...

4. JMPE

JMPE Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Western Wisconsin
    Once you have your nipples set-up, you can show your birds by tapping a nipple. They'll come check it out. Usually once one bird gets it, they'll all be interested. Keep an eye on them and make sure everyone gives it a try.

5. greeneggsnham

greeneggsnham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Southeast Missouri
    Thanks guys! I'm off to buy supplies. [​IMG]

6. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    Just got mine finished. I was also worried that they wouldn't get enough water, but no problem. It's such a relief not to have to go empty and clean their waterer twice a day.

7. wcasey911

wcasey911 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2010
    I have had my nipple water system in the run for going on day 3 now and I have yet to see the hens drink from it. I have jiggled and tapped on it until I'm about to give up. They do not have any other water source so I'm beginning to get concerned they will dehydrate. I have stuck cherries and cucumber pieces onto the nipple and they pick it off but once the treat is gone they dont show any interest in going back. Am I doing something wrong or are they drinking when I'm not looking. I dont notice the water level going down in the bucket.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I just had to brag a little bit - my first GrandChick is SO smart!
    [​IMG]

Buffy, the hatch mother, has been teaching her only chick everything she needs to know, where to scratch, what bugs are good, etc. Well, I've been putting small bowls of water around in the run for the chick, because I use nipple waterers for everyone, and a chick waterer in the coop. Buffy has brought the chick out every day for over a week. The chick is now just over 2 weeks old.

The nipple waterer is on an upturned concrete block. I knew the chick couldn't reach it. Obviously, I was wrong!!!
    [​IMG]

When I saw the chick jump up on the two bricks left there as steps for the bantams, then hop into the concrete block cavity, I knew I needed to get my camera.
    [​IMG]

My grown chickens have been using nipple waterers for about 7 months now.

9. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    You can teach an old hen new tricks...My girls have always been on a trough style waterer, but I added a rabbit water bottle to the outside pen and they figured it out pretty quickly. Now they all use it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by