Can you guess the breed? :)

Duckduckduckgoose,-- Whew took me 15 minutes to type that name! I'm just picking on you dddg.
big_smile.png

First off, you better sit down for this.
hide.gif
No, not under the chair!

I don't know a lot about geese yet, but I am pretty sure that little brown birdie isn't an African goose. Beats me what it is though. That is just my opinion. You're not going to kill me are you?
wink.png

DddG,

After some study I have concluded you have a Midvestonian Super DyWhopin Mud Duck. You can even get it registered if you want to.
big_smile.png

I think it also looks like a Canadian. Africans and Brown Chinese also have black beak and legs but they are not THAT black. It's hard to tell when they are babies but Canadian geese also have a 'different' shape to their beaks.

This is a Canadian gosling that I was suckered into thinking was an African last year. I had some African babies too but I guess I don't have pics of them as 'little' babies.
PICT0203-1.jpg

As for the thing about Canadians and permits (the gosling in the pic with the duckling also looks to be Canadian), I was told that you don't have to have a permit unless you have more than 5 Canadian geese. Since they are a federally protected species I would assume this is the same in any state. After I sold my 3 Canadians (once I figured out what they were) a friend told me he'd called the F&G and that's what they told him.

Hmm....it must be a Canada. But I guess Im really trying to figure out how these people had this little guy imprint on them without him seeing his parents or siblings first, or does that not matter as much as I may think? Pretty sure they didn't hatch it.

If they have been alone for any extended period of time, they imprint on pretty much anything that seems to be protecting them. If they snatched that little baby while it's was very young, then it is it makes sense that it is so comfortable around humans. It has been more with them than it has been with it's goose family.

Shelleyd: that's good to know. I looked up a whole bunch of info on dec and f&g sites but found more info on how to get a permit to destroy them than help them. Guess I should do some more research before this guy starts showing his adult feathers
smile.png
but if he decided to fly away when the time came, I wouldn't stop him.

Back
Top Bottom