Can you hatch chicks year round?

It's easiest for those of us in HOT AZ to hatch from September thru May. June through August it's just too hot.

Spring is the big hatch time because that's when pretty much every hen and her sister who are still capable of laying are doing so. Production begins to fade the further into summer you go so some breeds won't lay much or at all by fall and nothing over the winter depending on what they were bred for.

But if you can get the eggs you can hatch every day of the year if you want to.

I hatch from Dec through may in my house-then allow all broodies to do it until August. I need to change my patterns though-brooding in house through Winter for 3 years has taken its toll on the human folks in my house!
tongue.png

I hatch year round also but do slow it down a bit during the heat of the summer mainly to give my hens a break. I let most of my flock free range during that time.

Depends on your climate. I put the incubator away after Labor Day and bring it out in April. Its just too cold in the winter here to have young birds outside, and my house is way to small to keep smelly birds inside all winter, and they do get smelly no matter how hard you try to keep them clean.

Hi from Ga. we have a temperature controlled tack room we can handle about 75 chicks in are brooder until their 6 weeks old then they can handle any kind of weather we have here in so Ga. From 15 - 100 degrees we have had no problems.
big_smile.png
NPIP Ga.-1211

Back
Top Bottom