Can you hatch chicks year round?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Flawedatdesign, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Topic says it all I'm just kind of curious. On how this works? I know spring seems to be the big hatch time. I'm assuming thats because temps are pretty stable etc etc.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's easiest for those of us in HOT AZ to hatch from September thru May. June through August it's just too hot.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Spring is the big hatch time because that's when pretty much every hen and her sister who are still capable of laying are doing so. Production begins to fade the further into summer you go so some breeds won't lay much or at all by fall and nothing over the winter depending on what they were bred for.

But if you can get the eggs you can hatch every day of the year if you want to.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I hatch from Dec through may in my house-then allow all broodies to do it until August. I need to change my patterns though-brooding in house through Winter for 3 years has taken its toll on the human folks in my house! [​IMG]

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I try to hatch 52 weeks a year... Every weekend....

6. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    I hatch year round also but do slow it down a bit during the heat of the summer mainly to give my hens a break. I let most of my flock free range during that time.

7. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Depends on your climate. I put the incubator away after Labor Day and bring it out in April. Its just too cold in the winter here to have young birds outside, and my house is way to small to keep smelly birds inside all winter, and they do get smelly no matter how hard you try to keep them clean.

8. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. we have a temperature controlled tack room we can handle about 75 chicks in are brooder until their 6 weeks old then they can handle any kind of weather we have here in so Ga. From 15 - 100 degrees we have had no problems.[​IMG] NPIP Ga.-1211

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by