Can you hatch duck/goose eggs with chicken eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by willow, Apr 2, 2009.

1. willow

willow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Sherman, NY
    My geese are laying [​IMG] and so are my cuyuga/ancona ducks [​IMG]

Can I incubate them with the chicken eggs?? I put them together last year but had very low hatch rate.[​IMG]

If I need to do something different can some one help me? I'd really like to hatch these. I really need advice from all the "eggsperts".[​IMG]

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I am shure I have read about people that have but I have sometimers , sometimes I remmber some times I dont, I need to know to I want to try hatching ducks and chickens in my sons class , I know I need to set the ducks a week earler as they take 28 intead of 21 but I cant figure out how the humidity will work.
    Some one will know Im shure

3. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Ducks and Geese are very nasty as you know from your hatch last year.

If you do hatch together, be sure to seperate them afterwards.

On the ducks/geese, the humidity would have to be lot higher than on the chicks..

So, that's another reason I wouldn't hatch duck/geese with any other eggs..

4. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    I have always heard no, although some people do so successfully. And I just found another site that said many people use the dry incubation method successfully with both ducks and geese! (Confusing!). . .
    I have chosen to wait until my silkie eggs have hatched before trying ducks and geese. . .but if you have a hatcher I have heard you may be able to add the duck and geese eggs on the last week of the chicken eggs, when the humidity is higher.
    Good luck!

5. willow

willow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Sherman, NY
    Yeah, I have read that you can put them together but judging from last years bunch, I don't know. [​IMG] One place I read that you can but if they need higher humidity how can that be?? [​IMG] As far as the dry method, I guess I'm a little dumb. I don't really understand that. [​IMG]

That's why I figured I'd post the question here and learn how to hatch'em [​IMG]

6. ChevygirlBeth

ChevygirlBeth Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by