Can you hatch from chickens that have had MG in the past?

Rachel5589

Chirping
Jan 6, 2019
Hello,
I have a flock on 1 rooster and 11 hens. Recently my flock became infected with what I am pretty positive was MG. Every one has recovered and doing well now. I know that this is something they will always be carriers of. Before all this happened, I had planned on adding new chickens to my flock. I'd like to have maybe 8-10 added. Well since I can no longer add new ones since my current ones are silent carriers, I was thinking... Is it possible to hatch chicks from the hens that are carriers of mg? I know they'd be born a carrier too, but would they be born sick as well? I do not want to sell chickens or eggs, so I would not be putting others at risk. I just want them as our pets/ for eggs. Also, I read somewhere that once the hens are a MG carrier, their laying is reduced for the rest of their life. Has anyone experienced that? I really wanted to grow my flock but this MG has really made that difficult.

I also had a bout with MG and am in the same boat as you. In my case, I have about 8 roosters due to getting a Suprise box from Cackle in a raffle club I was in. Now, because of the MG, I cant sell ir give them away, but considering I have about 50 hens, shouldnt be a problem. Everyone seems to get along.
I am figuring that I can hatch eggs from my flock to replace nin-laying hens since I have so many roosters, inbreeding should be minimal.
Getting yours tested may be a good idea if you want to know for sure. Since I have so many, costwise probably isnt feasable to me but may be for you.
I dont think I got the MG from the Suprise box, but from some eggs I hatched out earlier last year. The chicks from that hatched were the first ones to show symptoms and die from it or got culled. I now have to assume that the entire flock are now carriers. It sucks because I made some decent money selling hatching eggs and young pullets.

What state are you in?
Did you know you can have testing done at your state lab (my lab charges about $20 for MG testing) so you know what you are dealing with?
Knowing what you're dealing with will is better than guessing which can help you decide how to move forward.
State lab info:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/necropsy-and-disease-testing-lab-info.1236884/

I am in GA. I looked on that site and it said they don't take samples from animals owners, only veterinarians.

When they started showing symptoms a few weeks ago, I had called around trying to find a "chicken vet" but had trouble finding any one that would see them. I don't understand why the vets act like chickens aren't as important as any other animal. These are my pets, they all have names. We love them just like our cats and dogs.

I also had a bout with MG and am in the same boat as you. In my case, I have about 8 roosters due to getting a Suprise box from Cackle in a raffle club I was in. Now, because of the MG, I cant sell ir give them away, but considering I have about 50 hens, shouldnt be a problem. Everyone seems to get along.
I am figuring that I can hatch eggs from my flock to replace nin-laying hens since I have so many roosters, inbreeding should be minimal.
Getting yours tested may be a good idea if you want to know for sure. Since I have so many, costwise probably isnt feasable to me but may be for you.
I dont think I got the MG from the Suprise box, but from some eggs I hatched out earlier last year. The chicks from that hatched were the first ones to show symptoms and die from it or got culled. I now have to assume that the entire flock are now carriers. It sucks because I made some decent money selling hatching eggs and young pullets.

Sorry to hear that we're in the same situation! Have you hatched any eggs since the MG?

Sorry to hear that we're in the same situation! Have you hatched any eggs since the MG?
Not yet. May do so later when it warms up. Funny...last year at this time I had six incubators going. This year.. not feeling the bug. But may do a few eggs just to see what mixes I get. I have a SLW, Copper Maran, BLRW, Chantecler, Egyptian Fayoumi, Barred Cochin, and a Buff Polish rooster, so who knows?

Not yet. May do so later when it warms up. Funny...last year at this time I had six incubators going. This year.. not feeling the bug. But may do a few eggs just to see what mixes I get. I have a SLW, Copper Maran, BLRW, Chantecler, Egyptian Fayoumi, Barred Cochin, and a Buff Polish rooster, so who knows?
Have you noticed a drop in the amount of eggs your hens lay since the mg? When I was reading about it, it says it causes them to not lay as often but i can't figure out if that means only when they are sick and not feeling well or for the rest of their lifetime?

Have you noticed a drop in the amount of eggs your hens lay since the mg? When I was reading about it, it says it causes them to not lay as often but i can't figure out if that means only when they are sick and not feeling well or for the rest of their lifetime?
Nope. Laying like crazy. Getting about 15 eggs a day. Lowest I got was 6 but I think its weather related as its been going from 70's to 30's then 50's. Kind of screws them up. And thats only half of them laying. I have hens I dont think will lay til spring.

Nope. Laying like crazy. Getting about 15 eggs a day. Lowest I got was 6 but I think its weather related as its been going from 70's to 30's then 50's. Kind of screws them up. And thats only half of them laying. I have hens I dont think will lay til spring.
Yay, glad to hear that! Thank you

Back
Top Bottom