Can you hatch refrigerated eggs?

I’ve been storing eggs in the fridge all this year. They hatch just fine. Even had some over a month old hatch from the fridge. Not bad hatching % either. 22/24 eggs hatched!
My rooster was killed over a month ago and I had a few dozen of fertilized eggs in the fridge. I let them get to room temperature and I put them in the incubator today. I’m thankful that you have had success. I really didn’t think it would be possible. Wish me luck!

you can but it does depend. On most fridges the temperature can be adjusted. If you like your beers ice cold then chances are it will be too cold for eggs. Stick a thermometer in there and leave it in there for a day, if it stays over 5 degrees C then it should be fine but if your fridge is set too low I wouldn't risk it.
Worth mentioning as it is not just yes or no imo. I've kept eggs in the fridge and hatched them but under 5 degrees C is known to start affecting them.

Also highly important is if they have been stored in the fridge then they need to be warmed very slowly to room temperature first for a minimum of 6 hours.

You can look up the dew point for incubating eggs for different temperatures. If the egg has been stored under 7 degrees C it is very easy to cause condensation to form on the egg, like when you take a water bottle out the fridge, condensation will form on the outside of the bottle straight away. This happens if the egg is at 7 degrees C and warmed in a room over 18 degrees C

So if you take the egg out it needs to be warmed at 15 degrees C first for 3 hours, then at 25 degrees C for the next 3 hours. Ideally heat it up to 30 before placing it into a 37.5 degree incubator as the last step.

If you place an egg straight out the fridge in the incubator or even let it warm up at 20 degrees C (room temp) a lot of condensation will form on the egg which will make it more susceptible to get contaminated

you can but it does depend. On most fridges the temperature can be adjusted. If you like your beers ice cold then chances are it will be too cold for eggs. Stick a thermometer in there and leave it in there for a day, if it stays over 5 degrees C then it should be fine but if your fridge is set too low I wouldn't risk it.
Worth mentioning as it is not just yes or no imo. I've kept eggs in the fridge and hatched them but under 5 degrees C is known to start affecting them.

Also highly important is if they have been stored in the fridge then they need to be warmed very slowly to room temperature first for a minimum of 6 hours.

You can look up the dew point for incubating eggs for different temperatures. If the egg has been stored under 7 degrees C it is very easy to cause condensation to form on the egg, like when you take a water bottle out the fridge, condensation will form on the outside of the bottle straight away. This happens if the egg is at 7 degrees C and warmed in a room over 18 degrees C

So if you take the egg out it needs to be warmed at 15 degrees C first for 3 hours, then at 25 degrees C for the next 3 hours. Ideally heat it up to 30 before placing it into a 37.5 degree incubator as the last step.

If you place an egg straight out the fridge in the incubator or even let it warm up at 20 degrees C (room temp) a lot of condensation will form on the egg which will make it more susceptible to get contaminated
Thank you for the advice! I did let the eggs get to room temperature...probably a good 6 hours. I never saw any condensation on the eggs, so I hope that is a good sign. I have no idea how cold my refrigerator gets. I will see if I can find a thermometer to check on that. (I am not used to Celsius but if I took a guess at the temperature, it’s probably around 40 degrees Fahrenheit? We shall see! Thanks again!

I have successfully hatched refrigerated eggs many times. I place mine pointy side down in cartons on the counter for about half a day, then place in the already warmed up and ready to go incubator. Not really that complicated.
Chances of success will be a bit less then a freshly laid egg.
Good luck. 😊

I have successfully hatched refrigerated eggs many times. I place mine pointy side down in cartons on the counter for about half a day, then place in the already warmed up and ready to go incubator. Not really that complicated.
Chances of success will be a bit less then a freshly laid egg.
Good luck. 😊
:D THANKS!

Thank you for the advice! I did let the eggs get to room temperature...probably a good 6 hours. I never saw any condensation on the eggs, so I hope that is a good sign. I have no idea how cold my refrigerator gets. I will see if I can find a thermometer to check on that. (I am not used to Celsius but if I took a guess at the temperature, it’s probably around 40 degrees Fahrenheit? We shall see! Thanks again!
UPDATE: No growth on Day 6. I opened them and there was nothing. =( I could tell that they were fertilized though. I have a feeling they were in the refrigerator too long and it was probably too cold. My rooster was killed by a predator, so I won't have anymore fertilized eggs. At least I was able to hatch two from the "unrefrigerated" eggs I snatched right after he died. I have a very small incubator and the hatch rate is not very good. 2 out of 7. My chicks are doing well - they are 6 days old.

Attachments

• IMG_1171.jpg
    IMG_1171.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom