Can you have an extension lead in the rain?

I would add that specific one has a socket adapter in it with 3 sockets and a timer but is used for 3x 40w lights (always on 7:30am - 10pm) so very small power used through it, but I use them for brooder plates and power washer.. all good. I know extension leads should not be used semipermanently or permanently but I check it regularly enough.

Sorry to ask so many questions but I’ve never raised chicks outdoors before and I’m so worried about messing it up. My chicks hatch in around 5 days and want to start setting up brooder. (This may be a stupid question but I’m very clueless at these things 😂)
I have an outdoor plug socket with a waterproof cover over the top, would I be okay to plug a standard extension lead into that and run it into my brooder coop?
The end of the extension lead would be in the coop and away from rain, and the plug would be in the waterproof cover. Would the cable be okay to be outside if it rained or would I need a specific extension lead that’s waterproof or something?

(Sorry if it’s a stupid question I’m just really not sure)
not a dumb question at all. Not all extension cords are equal. If you plan to use any extension cord outside use a GCI receptacle and a cord rated for outdoor use. Alternatively, you could run the length of the cord through a length of PVC or PEX to protect against inadvertent damage.

The wire size is important. A wire with too small a diameter can heat up and there will be a severe voltage drop. Running at reduced voltage can ruin your equipment.

The appropriate wire size is calculated using the electric load and the wire length. To figure the load add up wattages for each piece of equipment. Divide the total wattage by the voltage (e.g. 120 volts) to get the amperage (amps) or flow of electricity.

Next, go to a voltage drop calculator like this one, enter your amps and wire length to find out if there is too much voltage drop (not more than 5%).

For extension cords the usual wire choices are 12 gauge and 14 gauge. 12 gauge is larger diameter and a better choice for long runs, but more expensive, of course.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom