can you hear them peep in the shell??? ***PIC ADDDED***

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickchick, Oct 2, 2008.

1. chickchick

chickchick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    HI,

My Buff Orp is on day 21 with her eggs, and last night when I checked on her I swear I heard the little chicks peep when she sat back down on them. No breaks in the shells yet, but was wondering if it is possible to hear them in there?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  2. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

When we hatched eggs last spring, we swore we heard a peep or two.

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Yes yes yes yes yes!! [​IMG]
    That's a very good sign. [​IMG]

4. chickchick

Nov 13, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    yeah, thanks, we are so excited, and so are all our neighbors and friends too!!!

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I heard them peeping as much as 24 hrs before getting a pip. Congratulations [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Oh yes! Once they pip the membrane inside, they get air, and can peep their little heads off! We had a hen leave the nest just yesterday, with 4 eggs left. One had a pip, and 2 turned out to be no good. I put the other to my ear to see if it was tapping, and it peeped at me, with no visible holes in the shell! It took that little guy till today (with the help of my dumb dad [​IMG] ) to hatch, but it and the pipped egg that also hatched are doing just fine!

7. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    I have one hatched chick and the rest are in the shells and I can hear two chicks talking to one another. One sounds a little muffled or quieter and the other is louder since its already hatched. So yep you sure can.

8. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yes, I have heard them, though some seem to be a lot louder than others.

9. chickchick

Nov 13, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    Peach is now a mama! After being broody on and off most of the summer, her chicks hae finally hatched! The little blue egg is in the picture, and the dark brown egg is out now too, just waiting on number 3.
    [​IMG]

10. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    I had a batch hatch last week and I could DEFINITLY hear them peeping inside the shell. I thought i was crazy so I had a couple of other people listen for it.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by