can you hear them peep in the shell??? ***PIC ADDDED***

chickchick

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 13, 2007
Portland, Oregon
HI,

My Buff Orp is on day 21 with her eggs, and last night when I checked on her I swear I heard the little chicks peep when she sat back down on them. No breaks in the shells yet, but was wondering if it is possible to hear them in there?

Last edited:
Yes yes yes yes yes!!
ya.gif

That's a very good sign.
smile.png

Oh yes! Once they pip the membrane inside, they get air, and can peep their little heads off! We had a hen leave the nest just yesterday, with 4 eggs left. One had a pip, and 2 turned out to be no good. I put the other to my ear to see if it was tapping, and it peeped at me, with no visible holes in the shell! It took that little guy till today (with the help of my dumb dad
barnie.gif
) to hatch, but it and the pipped egg that also hatched are doing just fine!

I have one hatched chick and the rest are in the shells and I can hear two chicks talking to one another. One sounds a little muffled or quieter and the other is louder since its already hatched. So yep you sure can.

Peach is now a mama! After being broody on and off most of the summer, her chicks hae finally hatched! The little blue egg is in the picture, and the dark brown egg is out now too, just waiting on number 3.
4871_hatch_out.jpg

I had a batch hatch last week and I could DEFINITLY hear them peeping inside the shell. I thought i was crazy so I had a couple of other people listen for it.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom