Can you help diagnose this chicken?

vermontchixs

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2017
I have a 3yr chicken layer that was being bullied and pecked by other chickens so we had to separate it as it has no feathers left on it's but -it is now in a warm safe environment. This is day 3. It just stands around fluffed up but won't eat or drink. I am giving it water with electrolytes by dropper. I have given it an epsom salt bath. I have checked to see if it is egg bound but it's not. It does not have a hard crop. Its wattle is firm and good color, no coughing or wheezing. What little poop it has is watery and yellow - see photo. It won't eat warm mash. No worms, no mites. Any Ideas?
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_10c1a.jpg

I have a 3yr chicken layer that was being bullied and pecked by other chickens so we had to separate it as it has no feathers left on it's but -it is now in a warm safe environment. This is day 3. It just stands around fluffed up but won't eat or drink. I am giving it water with electrolytes by dropper. I have given it an epsom salt bath. I have checked to see if it is egg bound but it's not. It does not have a hard crop. Its wattle is firm and good color, no coughing or wheezing. What little poop it has is watery and yellow - see photo. It won't eat warm mash. No worms, no mites. Any Ideas?View attachment 2766084
We had a chicken like that, and I thought it was egg bound, but it wasn't. A couple days later she got prolapsed vent. So I'd watch her in case she gets it. It also may be some sort of infection. @Kiki

Her lower belly under her vent looks pooched out, but it could look that way because of the feather loss. Does it feel enlarged, hard, spongy or tight? It could be a hernia, internal laying, or ascites. It might just be fat. Reproductive problems and cancer can be common at her age. Infection may also be a problem. Hard to know for sure. How long since she was laying eggs, and were they normal with hard shells? Since she is not eating, I would try giving her some vitamins and offer scrambled egg, wet chicken feed, and tuna just to tempt her to eat. Amoxicillin or Fish Mox might be good, if you can find it in your local feed store or online if she has a reproductive infection. Dosage is 125-250 mg twice a day given orally for 7-10 days.

We had a chicken like that, and I thought it was egg bound, but it wasn't. A couple days later she got prolapsed vent. So I'd watch her in case she gets it. It also may be some sort of infection. @Kiki
I'd end her suffering.
She won't survive much longer if she's not eating or drinking.

Back
Top Bottom