CAN YOU HELP ME FIND A COOP?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by theduckgirl4110, Aug 23, 2013.

1. theduckgirl4110

theduckgirl4110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    Hello. I will have up to four ducks soon. I am not sure how many I will really have because one might die during or after shipping.[​IMG] So if everything goes alright, I will have four ducks. I have a plan for an outside pen: Next to my garage there is a GIANT bush and a tree with other debris.[​IMG] I plan to clear out that space and get a huge chain-link fence to go all the way around that side. In the pen I would Like to Put in a "coop" [​IMG]for them. One that is safe to lock them in at night ( doesn't have too, but I would like it ), Ventilation, Windows ( at least one ), Easy access door for me, Door for them, A nice look, and of course under 1000 dollars. I would like I t to be under 700 dollars.[​IMG] Can you help me find something like this? I'[m not that picky really. All the things I listed, the "coop" doesn't have to fit them to a T.[​IMG] Thank you. I do not want to build because I have no building skills what-so-ever.[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Not sure where you are but this was posted this week... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/816826/anyone-in-ct-looking-for-a-duck-house-and-run

3. Zombified

Zombified Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Kentucky, USA
    As a temporary solution, we used an old cabinet, cut a hole in the bottom of it. They're technically too big for it to all fit in at the same time, but they still go in every once in a while. We have a motorcycle trailer in the run now, and they go under there. There's also a bush that they sleep under at night. When we expand their run, we're going to build a permanent coop.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Your better to build, most prebuilts are overpriced and do not offer what you truly need, safety, ventilation and space. I do own one pre built but its for bantam chickens and is my oldest kids i got it on a sale price and it's no good for anything past bantam chickens or ducks.

Have you seen the chicken coops for dummies book? it's has a great 4x4 option that is super simple to build and will cost you about 200$ i built one for my calls, i would recommend it above what is out there unless you have someone local who actually makes decent coops with the needed details that doesn't cost your first born and a kings ransom.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have a retired neighbor who loves to take on projects. He is a wizard with a drill and a circular saw. I gave him a design (simple plywood box but with double walls and a Dutch door) and in eighteen hours over three days, it was built. I just had to put in the half inch metal hardware cloth over all the openings, and attach a porch.

I knew next to nothing about building things, by the way. But I watched him and realized I could do this.

There are some other options, too, like using a dog house and fixing it to have a sturdy door and the right ventilation. I found some videos online on building a doghouse and it looked straightforward.

Just be careful. Power tools can hurt you really fast if you don't pay attention.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by