Can you help me ID this rodent?

photo chick

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Essex, VT
We have seen him in and out of a hole near our woodpile. He minds his own business and seems quite sweet. But.... we have had so much trouble with raccoons depleting our flock that we're cautious with any animal in their proximity.

What is it? Is it a threat to our chickens?

Sorry - I don't know why it posted sideways.

Is the tail bushy, like a squirrel tail? If so, I think it is a gray squirrel, black color phase. If it is, then it's not a threat to chickens.

Oh, now that someone else has said it, I think it might be a woodchuck. They're usually lighter but can be dark. This one looks kind of thin for a woodchuck, but maybe it is young? Google images to confirm.

They don't have nutrias in VT.

I kind of thought it might be a woodchuck. We ended up letting him go. I'm not sure what his tail looked like. I hope he doesn't turn out to be a chicken killer.

Marmot of some sort. If woodchuck / ground hog, then something other than color is different from those I see in Missouri, Illinois and Indiana. Color darker even than what I call blue but head looks more rounded as well. Biggest threat is to structure of buildings and it might harbor bubonic plague.

Back
Top Bottom