Can you help me identify this pest crawling around my run and yard?

RaesChicks

Chirping
Sep 11, 2023
Southeastern US
I have searched the internet and cannot come up with a conclusive answer. I need help determining if this is a mite or a tick. It squishes easily between two fingers. But does bite as I found out before I smacked it and got orange bug goo smeared on my arm. I don’t have very much first hand experience with ticks but I was always told they had hard bodies and wouldn’t squish so easily. Can you help me figure this out?

Attachments

• IMG_0616.jpeg
    IMG_0616.jpeg
    538 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0615.jpeg
    IMG_0615.jpeg
    557.9 KB · Views: 22
It kinda looks like a spider to me. Ticks are hard to kill, except for when they're bloated (either full of blood or eggs). For a mite, it looks way too big, as mites are very small (typically photographed with a microscope), and can be hard to kill as well. Where did you find this and what State are you in?

I’ve had them crawling on the wood in my run, I killed one on my arm while I was turning over the bedding, this one was on my shovel. When I google lensed it it came up spider but didn’t match the grown pictures that the web provided. I thought possibly a spider mite. I never truly considered an actual spider.

I’ve had them crawling on the wood in my run, I killed one on my arm while I was turning over the bedding, this one was on my shovel. When I google lensed it it came up spider but didn’t match the grown pictures that the web provided. I thought possibly a spider mite. I never truly considered an actual spider.
So something like this:

1000000373.jpg

1000000372.jpg

https://www.thespruce.com/controlling-spider-mites-3269371

https://entomology.ces.ncsu.edu/biological-control-of-spider-mites-in-tomatoes/

I would have said spider mite or spider sling, although spider slings rarely bite. And there are some mites you can visibly see with naked eye

I should clarify, slider slings can bite but aren't necessarily strong enough. We've always taught if it has a mouth if CAN bite lol

Back
Top Bottom