1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you help me interpret this?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TillinWithMyPeeps, May 5, 2009.

1. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    After the city ordinance says that poultry is illegal it says this:

(e) This section does not apply to a person exhibiting such animals at a public show, parade or public institution.

Do you think I would be able to do some sort of show online or actually in person everyonce in a while to have them considered "show chickens" ?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I take it as "if you show the birds you raise, then you are allowed to keep them".

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:I show my birds to anyone who will look.

ETA: Is Pet Smart a "public instution"? If so, take your chooks there from time to time.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  4. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Could you please post the part of the ordinance that says poultry is illegal? They may have added this line so that people bringing poultry into the city for show purposes (at the fair, etc.) are not breaking the law by having clucks at the show. It may not mean that you can legally keep/raise showbirds in the city limits...

5. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    I would assume that it applies only to the time that you are showing the animal, such as at a fair. You might contact your local animal control for clarification.

6. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Quote:This is my feeling too. It's like they said "no you can't have poultry in town, UNLESS you are showing them at a fair"...or something along those lines.

7. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:That is how I read it. Here is the original line:

No person shall keep or maintain any horse, cattle, swine, sheep, poultry or other livestock within the City limits

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by