Can you help me sex this Cream Legbar (potential cross) chick?

OrangeYouGlad

In the Brooder
May 18, 2021
This chick came from a cream legbar egg, and the rooster could have been either another cream legbar or a blue copper Maran. This chick is almost all yellow. There is a slightly more warm patch on head, and also a small black dot off centered on the top of its head. It has faint "eyeliner." This chick certainly does not look like any male (or female...) legbar chicks I have seen.

IMG_0025.jpeg
IMG_0041.jpeg
IMG_0031.jpeg
IMG_0029.jpeg

I'm not that experienced, but my hatch from May was WAY more obvious than that. One of the Cream Legbar/Rhode Island crosses was obviously a cockerel at 4 weeks. This is him at just under 7 weeks. Your photo at 9 weeks still shows a small, yellow, comb. This one is most developed but all of the 6 cockerels I had were very obviously different that the pullets at 6 weeks, even.

I would keep that one until it crows or lays an egg! :)

Cockerel-RIRxCL.jpg

I have some chicks that look similar to that, but a cross from the other direction. They are eggs hatched from Rhode Island Red hens exposed to a Cream Legbar rooster. I had a mixed hatch this weekend from mostly Rhode Island Red hens but also six Cream Legbar hens. From those, I hatched apparent full RIRs chicks, RIR x Cream Legbar, and two that may be full Cream Legbars. There were two chicks from the CL hens (blue eggs) that appear to be crosses, but also a good number of RIR crosses too. I would guess that the CL Rooster is a bit more active than the RIR. From an incubation of 22 I had two not fertile, one early quitter (small blood ring) and three late stage dead in shell. I had one defective chick that had to be culled. I'll get some photos later. One is really interesting in that it has most of the CL pattern, but the stripe is light rather than dark!

Here are the chicks. You can see the various colors of the crosses, as well as a couple that may be pure Cream Legbar (they came from blue eggs). There are some pure RIR as well I'd say.

InBrooder1-A.jpg
FullFlockChicks-A.jpg

Back
Top Bottom