Can you help me with dimensions for chicken tractor?

FenDruadin

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Charlotte, NC Area
So I've decided to build two small chicken tractors rather than the gargantuan monstrosity I originally had in mind, thanks to the kind feedback of members here.

I want to build something similar to this: https://www.ana-white.com/community-projects/frame-chicken-tractor

But with some modifications (such as better wire). I plan to house 2-3 hens per tractor. I live in Zone 7 (near Charlotte, NC), and we do not have severe winters. Predators are pretty minimal where I am, with raccoons being the worst (hence the upgraded wire). I successfully keep quail in tractors, so I'm confident they'll work against what predators we do have, if I design it right.

Can someone help me with some dimension questions?
  1. How much height does the nest box/coop portion of the tractor need to have at the apex to be comfy? At least some of my chicks are brahma mixes, so they'll be hefty girls
  2. If I make the whole thing about 8 feet long and 4 feet wide, is that about right? How tall should it then be?
  3. How steep can the ladder into the coop portion be? If I build the entire thing 8 feet long and have the coop take 5 feet of the length, does that leave enough length for an adequate ladder?
  4. Can I build it with 2x3s rather than 2x4s to save on weight?
I think that's it for now. I'm trying to get a plan together so I can do take-offs this week and get materials this weekend. I really appreciate any help!

How has this worked out for you? Are they roosting in the nest box area? I have a somewhat differently-designed tractor, but they are all crowding into the nest boxes at night.

Back
Top Bottom