Can you help me with winterizing my coop?

ash_en_em

Songster
5 Years
Mar 4, 2018
Northeast Ohio
Hey everyone! This is my first year with chickens, and therefore my first time prepping for winter. I have 4 Aussies who are are 8 months old, and two EEs who are coming up on 3 months. The weather here in central Ohio is beginning to turn chilly (60°F during the day this week with 33°F as the night time low). I know I need to start getting ready, and have some heavy duty "clear" tarps with grommets on order.

At what low temp should I make sure the coop is wrapped? When do you guys do it?

Also, what should I cover? I figured I'd need to cover the opening on the door, and some of my vents (it gets to be over 100° in the summer so I had to have a somewhat open coop plan). Just looking for your thoughts.

I will also be putting welded wire around the run area, burying it a foot deep, and doing any small repairs in the next two weeks.

20181011_093754.jpg
20181011_093810.jpg
20181011_095332.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• 20181011_093754.jpg
    20181011_093754.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 2
What are your lowest temps? Teens? Lower? How about north wind? Which direction does your coop door face? You might be wise to construct a ninety degree "vestibule" at the coop entrance so the wind won't blow directly into the coop if it's facing north or whichever direction your coldest wind comes from.

The last thing you want to do is seal up the entire coop. As temps drop below freezing, water vapor from the chickens' breathing can form freezing crystals on exposed flesh and cause frostbite when air can't circulate.

Keep in mind that water vapor, freezing wind directly blowing on the chickens, and poor air circulation are the major causes of frostbite. Other than that, chickens are well equipped to endure very cold temps with not too much discomfort.

What are your lowest temps? Teens? Lower? How about north wind? Which direction does your coop door face? You might be wise to construct a ninety degree "vestibule" at the coop entrance so the wind won't blow directly into the coop if it's facing north or whichever direction your coldest wind comes from.

The last thing you want to do is seal up the entire coop. As temps drop below freezing, water vapor from the chickens' breathing can form freezing crystals on exposed flesh and cause frostbite when air can't circulate.

Keep in mind that water vapor, freezing wind directly blowing on the chickens, and poor air circulation are the major causes of frostbite. Other than that, chickens are well equipped to endure very cold temps with not too much discomfort.

Lowest temps I've ever seen was -15° with the wind chill. That's not the norm. Typically the temp stays in the teens in the coldest months. Coop opening faces NE, so I'll plan on wrapping the North facing side (the side with the long narrow vent).

I know not to wrap the whole thing from reading on here. Do you think they'd be ok with just the square vent and the triangular vent being left open? It should I leave a bit at the top of the door open too?
20181011_093810.jpg
20181011_095332.jpg

Your coop looks great, I'm just beginning my first winter with my lovely Rhode Island Reds and am right there with you on winterizing. I'm in central New England and winters here can be brutal at times. I have the heavy plastic shower curtains but am not planning on hanging them until daytime temps are in the 40's to 30's. I will be working on some insulation inside the coop soon. I did notice you used chicken wire on your coop. If you have weasels, raccoons or other predators they can rip through that pretty easily. Let me know how your winter goes.

I would bring them all inside! Lol that is just too cold for me not to worry! In the basement they would be!
I made sure to have winter hardy breeds. You better believe I'll be out there putting Vaseline on combs and wattles, in addition to providing warm treats.

I believe that they survived without something as fancy as this coop for decades, and they'll be just fine with my added tlc. Plus they have built in parkas!

I made sure to have winter hardy breeds. You better believe I'll be out there putting Vaseline on combs and wattles, in addition to providing warm treats.

I believe that they survived without something as fancy as this coop for decades, and they'll be just fine with my added tlc. Plus they have built in parkas!

Vitamin E oul holds onto combs and feet better.

Hey neighbor, I’d cover your door and wrap your run but leave a bit of ventilation for your run at the top. I think if you covered the long section of ventilation it should be fine.
Awesome to get some input from someone else who keeps chickens in our crazy weather!

You suggest wrapping the entire run, but leave the top part open? I've seen some people do that around here, and I guess that'd help keep snow/chilly wind out too!

Your coop looks great, I'm just beginning my first winter with my lovely Rhode Island Reds and am right there with you on winterizing. I'm in central New England and winters here can be brutal at times. I have the heavy plastic shower curtains but am not planning on hanging them until daytime temps are in the 40's to 30's. I will be working on some insulation inside the coop soon. I did notice you used chicken wire on your coop. If you have weasels, raccoons or other predators they can rip through that pretty easily. Let me know how your winter goes.
I plan on running the 1/2” welded wire around the side walls of the run and burying it a foot deep for that reason! I don't want my coop to become a buffet!

Back
Top Bottom