Can you help with my coop

Ncsiwolf

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 7, 2011
Simi Valley, Ca
This is the first attempt at the coop. It was made out of two cables and a easel.
102832_281411_2150590358389_1055254287_2515895_7625356_n.jpg

This is my second attempt. I had to make it bigger for them.
102832_285125_2191249454841_1055254287_2571838_7683134_n.jpg

I know it looks funny but its all I could do with $10. The chicken like it.
I put hay on the bottom. but is there any thing I can put insted of hay?
and if you have ant ideas on how to make the coop better with very little money? please

P.s a little back ground on me so you don't think I'm a bad chicken owner.
I found the chickens on the side of the road late one night. I have never had chickens and did not know much About them. I'm now in love with chickens. and going to Give them a good home.
It's just they came at a bad time of the year I dont have a lot of money right now. I'm trying me best with what I have right now and I love them a lot.
Thank you

is that coupe inside another structure?

is it going to stay there or move "outside". If outside it will likely be to insecure.

if that coupe is inside another secure structure i see no issue with it other than perhaps put a roost inside (a 1" straight branch works fine)

if you already have a garage or shed they will be happy in it if you give them a nest box and roost. you dont HAVE to have a specific coupe just for them if you have another suitable secure outbuilding.

If they're pretty much just sleeping in there, that should be fine as long as it's in a secure location (like an enclosed porch or something). It kind of looks like a little chicken bassinet...lol
smile.png

Pine shavings are fine too...

I think you've done a great job on a tight budget! Your question as other have stated matters, will it remain inside? (if so its secure, if not it will not be secure enough for outside). How many chickens do you have? Do you live where you have access to pallets? Here's one I built with pallets for free (except for the chicken wire and screws), got this shipping crate behind a discount builders supply prolly held tile....I asked inside about it and they said "take all the pallets you want". Yippee, this one was great because it was already five sided as a structure. all I had to do was cut scrap boards to make solid floor, put chicken wire on, and a roof. (and make the pop door out of scrap). I felt lucky to have found the 'crate' already built with five sides, but if you have access to pallets you have lots of free lumber to use as structure. A quick coop could be made by using 4 pallets (one for each wall) and filling in the gaps with scrap wood or whatever material you had on hand. Back to your question on suggestions for existing coop, I would make some 'legs' to get the coop off the ground 16-24 inches, that is a personal preference as my knees aren't what they once were and its easier to clean if off the ground (may not be an issue for you). Another suggestion for easier cleaning would be to make a pull out drawer to change the litter (hay, in this case). To modify yours to add this would be simple. your upside down table that is the 'floor' of your coop,,,cut out the apron (skirt board that connects to legs) and build a simple drawer (4 boards with a plywood bottom) that will slide in and out to hold the hay. That way to clean you just pull out the drawer, dump, and replace the hay every few days (I use aspen shavings from the feed store but that is an extra cost, use what you have like the hay, or maybe mix shredded paper with the hay, or use leaves, etc). I am very new to the hobby too, and I LOVE MY CHICKENS! My flock has been using this coop for only two days and last night I had left the door propped open and was inside at dusk (lost track of time for a few minutes) and they ALL GOT IN THE COOP BY THEMSELVES by using the ladder. I was so proud of them! Yes, I know, silly to be proud of chickens, huh?
20110809-ufq48swnthsef1c876my8n8b8.jpg

I forgot to mention also that instead of using the green sheet, you could use an old plastic tarp for a little more strength, or keep your eyes peeled for building sites where there is some scrap tyvec sheething, etc.

Quote:
I love it thank you i have five had 6 but the rooster had to go. he not alowd here
I'm going to look for pallets now thank you

This show with a few bucks and so ingenuity you can accomplish many things. If the girls seem conttent and you feel they are safe they should be fine until you put something else together. I like the pallet coop too!

Back
Top Bottom