Can you ID us?

CelticOaksFarm

Family owned, family run
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Florida - Space Coast
These were from our last hatch

Chick 1 (egg was marked purple cameo do you agree)
278b556d.jpg

3b4a6e97.jpg

194d58cf.jpg

23b2ffff.jpg

Chick 2 (egg was marked PBSSP)
9b44d3a5.jpg

55cca327.jpg

7639b619.jpg

The PBSSP (purple black shoulder spalding) chick is Black shoulder but I do not know about the rest. For the first chick a bird cannot be cameo and purple so it has to be one or the other or split to one. My guess is purple but it might be india blue split to something I am not an expert and the lighting is funny.

This is a good example why not to buy peaeggs from folks that don't know what they are doing or have, The first chick looks to be Purple and the second is a Blackshoulder but it will not get color for about 4 or 5 months to tell what it is.

Last edited:
I think the PBSSP is supposed to be from a Purple Blackshoulder Silver Pied pen.
I also got eggs from an ebay seller for PBSSP. The only surviving chick from that batch hatched out as a blackshoulder (yellow chick).

The middle one is the PBSSP, dark one is a spaulding pied and the brown is a purple pied.
96682_012.jpg

I think my purple pied is a male and the blackshoulder a hen but not sure, the spaulding is still a toss up.

Thanks for the responses, they are both very sweet and enjoy being out of the cage during the day. They live I. Our laundry room currently which is 22'x30. They have a south facing window they get to sit in, an east facing window and lots of space to move when we let them out. There cage in there is 36h x 24x 24.

Not everyone is knowledgable in color genetics and all you can go bye is what is marked or told they are. Glad to have a resource such as BYC to post pictures to and have help IDing these wonderful birds.

I don't think choctaw was talking about you. he was talking about the people selling eggs on ebay and other auction sites some of them have no idea what they have because they run different colors in one pen or they try to sell spaldings as pure javas. That's why you always want to buy eggs from someone you trust.

Ricky

Thanks Deerman, for the gender confirmation on my chicks.
FLChicken and I both have BS from silver pied mating, according to what the egg shipper sold us.
If these chicks appear dark pied, will they be able to carry pass on all the possibilities of pied , silver pied, white eye, & white? Isnt it harder to for BS hens to express the silver pied gene, or white eye?
idunno.gif

We also hatched a PBSSP egg this year. It's the guy (or gal) in the back, currently pure white (camera makes it's head look yellow, but it's not):

303553_144821372271930_113175648769836_268138_6045547_n.jpg

We also hatched two "Cameo Black Shoulder Pied" eggs, and both birds, at two months old, are pure white colored. I know that pied have a small chance to hatch out whites, but what are the odds of hatching two white split to cameo BS pied, out of two eggs?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom