Can you identify this? Black stuff on combs, but no mosquitoes.

Kuvasz

Songster
12 Years
Jun 22, 2010
Please if you have an idea of what this is I'm dealing with ,let me know. Only my marans are coming down with this. They don't seem to feel bad at all, just look awful. These don't seem to be 'warts' like pics I've seen of the fowl pox...and their combs are shriveling up! They started this about a month or more ago...not getting worse, but not getting better either. I did lose one maran hen, but she didn't have this that I know of. But she got really lethargic, and just died suddenly after about 2 days. I also had a month old baby chick do the same thing after I put them in the back room of the coop. So far, none of the others are showing signs of being sick...but honestly, I've been afraid to eat their eggs. The brahmas and reds are fine, and the barred rocks seem ok too....but they don't sleep in the same coop as the marans, so maybe not catching it? Also, my maran rooster isn't showing any signs of this on his comb....surely he's not causing this, is he?

and this:
notice how the points of her comb are shriveling up, and have lost their points! They are now rounded, and very dry and shriveled, and turning black, like rot, almost. Yet, I took this while she was in the egg box, she's still laying, and eating fine, and not the least bit 'sickly' acting. I hope someone can help!

and I couldn't get a good photo ...one of them that has this black rot going on, is also going bald on the top of her head. :( what on earth is happening to my hens?

no, i don't think so. they are out of the coop most of the day, and only go in at night....and the flock gets along pretty well.

Since I posted this question, the black is going away, and sure enough, they had one night the temps dipped into the freezing temps, and they got frost bite! Who knew this would happen?? Not I. Anyway, now I'm not in a panic over fowlpox! And they are looking so much better now than a month ago when I was freakin out.

Back
Top Bottom